Pressing Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressing Board

Happy snow storm day in Denver. Great day for quilting and contemplating. I wonder how everyone feels about using a standard ironing board versus a hard pressing board. Does it make a difference in your block size accuracy? Thinking of having the hubs rig a board up for me. I don't have a ton of space so I'd like to hear your thoughts first.I

Update: Thanks for all the ideas. Ive decided to go with the cutting board idea since its on hand. I'll save the money on the wool pad and buy more fabric. 😁

Have a blessed day.
    Last edited by srgreene; September 9, 2020, 09:34 AM.

I use a Big Board. I like that it’s not padded, making it easier to press blocks. Also, it’s great for pressing large pieces, binding, etc. Maybe you could try something small and hard to see how it works for you first. Do you have a cutting board that you could cover with a piece of canvas or muslin maybe? Or even if you just remove the cover from your ironing board?
    ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I have both an ironing board that I use but also the felted wool that I use while piecing blocks. I use both all the time, the wool for the smaller things and the ironing board for the larger items.
      Carlie

Comment

Both Cheryl and I use tabletops with pressing mats (non wool, concerned about possible smell). Mine is big enough for pieces and blocks, while hers is big enough for long seams. I can't remember the last time Cheryl used an ironing board.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

I love my wool mat. It presses so well. I don't notice a smell and my nose is super sensitive. It's great for small block work. I too use my big ironing board for pressing fabric before cutting, large pieces and binding. I do prefer a harder surface than that for block work though.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            You know, I've read several different reviews. Some say there is no smell and one particular review I read said it reminded them of growing up on a sheep ranch (of course, that may be hyperbole). It's one of those who do you believe kind of things, so we decided to just go with the non-wool mats, although I know the wool ones are very popular now.

Rob

Rob....I wonder if brand has anything to do with it? I splurged for a good quality one. I wonder if the cheaper ones aren't processed as well. Glad what you and Cheryl have are working for you.

Comment

I covered a long board and use it far more than my regular ironing board. I do use the regular ironing board when pressing the final top or backing, my long wooden board is up against a wall on top of a table so I don't have room to drape the fabric as I iron it.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              What did you cover it with Mimi?

• Mimi_Howard
              Mimi_Howard commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a about a 15 x 48 laminate covered shelf that was in the closet organizer. Couple layers of cotton batting and I wrapped it with a piece of a cotton sheet. I think I used hot glue gun along the side to seam up the material. I was a quick cover job... but it works!

**tried to put a picture but couldn't. Will try in another comment

I have a large standard size ironing board that is 45 years old and use it for everything. It is so heavy and sturdy I doubt you could get anything like that anymore unless you found one at an estate sale. I have a wool pressing mat I bought from QIAD and it doesn't smell, however I think wool mats are a bit over hyped. I don't find any difference in pressing on that vs my ironing board.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Ohhh...I was wondering why mine was starting to discolour slightly. Thanks for the tip Claire! But turning it down makes me want to rethink using it lol. I like to use high heat and steam to press. Hmmm...

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              I have used my wool mat a lot today and noticed a couple of things... 1. There is no discoloration. It was bad lighting and bad eyes. 2. When I used a lot of steam and only on occasion, it did smell a bit.

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you.

For Hillbillyhike.

quick pick of the board.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have standard ironing board, but I have another board that I can sit on top which is larger and covered with gray metal fabric. I pull it out when I am pressing tops and backings, or when I wash fabrics. I keep it behind the door. On it I have a skirt hanger which holds a wool pressing mat. I use that as needed depending on what I am working on.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Thanks Mimi! That's a good size. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to think on making one. Would that be firm enough to place a cuttingmatnon it and cut on? I have such limited space. I'm trying to figure out how to macimize it.

Comment

• MSN
                  MSN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I made a big board like Mimi's, and covered it with silver ironing board fabric from JoAnn's. Thinking that bigger must be better, I made it extra long and extra wide. I think it's 2 feet x 6 feet, and it weighs a ton. It is designed to fit over a regular ironing board, but the big board is so heavy (because of my modifications to the pattern) that it bent the legs of my ironing board. So now I keep it on top of my cutting table. I put my cutting mat on top and it works just fine for me.

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. That's some heavy board!

I use a regular ironing board. I have it really cusioned. Never an issue.

Comment

It's really not an either/or situation. Especially if you do any garment construction. I've not jumped on the "wool mat" wagon, and never will. I have used one at a friends and it works great but there's no added value for me. My primary ironing surface is a plush terry towel n plywood with a laminate surface. Small size is 18x30, and for ironing the bigger stuff, 30x72
                  You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

I use a work bench table as there isn't room for a standard ironing board. I covered a 24x48 inch piece of 3/8 plywood with insul-brite and topped with the silver ironing fabric. It is a good size plus the cutting mat can be laid on top if needed.

Comment

I bought a wool saddle pad for a whole lot cheaper than the wool mats on quilt shop site. $25.00 for larger one on State Tack Line.
                      No smell. Cut to fit my board and have piece left over for small portable one to take with me anywhere.

Comment

• srgreene
                        srgreene commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Genius. I just searched saddle pads and they are so affordable.
                    Working...
                    X