What would you do with this fabric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with this fabric?

I bought this fabric last month because I really liked the look of it and because it had some visual interest, yet I'm at a loss as to how to use it. I only have a yard of it, so if I used it as a backing it would have to be a small one. I thought about fussy cutting to make it blocks, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

If you fussy cut it, how many squares would you get out of it? I would start there.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm guessing at least a dozen or more six to eight inch blocks, but I'm terrible at estimating. That's something I would have to consider before going forward.

Rob

I think backing would be great. You could use it along with some other pieces to make a pieced backing on a larger quilt.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That's certainly a possibility. I hadn't thought about that.

Rob

You could cut out some 6 1/2" squares or 8 1/2" squares of notebook paper, then cover the places you'd like to use in blocks. That will give you a good way to estimate how many squares you'd get.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

To add to what Katrina suggested maybe if you have some plastic binder sleeves you could cut those up.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

863ED9D6-F133-4004-B977-97DED7D18F7C.jpeg That’s a pretty toile. I love it for borders, blocks and pillows. Most of the time I find it a bit thick for binding. Many toiles are wider than regular quilter cotton, so be sure to check the width. Toile is usually directional so you need to watch that, too.

Here is an example of borders I made with toile. I cut a few pieces to work into the blocks because it wasn’t part of the fabric line I used. This is one of my favorite quilts. The fabric line is Luna Notte by Moda (discontinued). I had to make one of these for my daughter so she wouldn’t take ours. I used different fabrics for the borders on hers. She also got matching pillowcases.
        Last edited by Bubby; September 7, 2020, 03:00 PM.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          That is really pretty Bubby! I love the colours. No wonder your daughter wanted it. Moda has such beautiful collections!

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Barb, if i was your daughter lol I would gave taken it too. Its beautiful. Moda is my favorite!

• Debbie Watters
          Debbie Watters commented
          Editing a comment
          Add my name to the list to acquire this beauty! Love it!

That's really nice Rob. You could put it as a large block in the center of a wall hanging or throw pillow cover and use the rest for adding small blocks or pieces throughout. Personally I think it's too pretty to just hide on the back. I love toile!
        Hike

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

My suggestion also was going to be to use it for backing. Fussy cutting also is an option, but I'd be wondering how much fabric you'd waste doing that. Although I've done it, fussy cutting can be a pain. There's no way to not waste some fabric, unless you don't care which part of the pattern is in your scraps. I'm sure Bonnie Hunter wouldn't waste a single scrap! Another option would be to keep it whole & do a whole cloth quilt.

Comment

I like bubbys idea. I love toile though. I think I'd see if i could find more and use it! You could also use it in the center as a panel and make cordnating blocks around it. If it fit in my home decor I might make pillow covers with it. I have alot of pillows. Lots of possibilities.
            Last edited by Momofmonsters5; September 7, 2020, 04:33 PM. Reason: Stupid mobile changes words

Comment

• ktdid
              ktdid commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree Rachel, I was thinking the same thing, a center panel would come nice

Actually Rachel, I like the idea of a panel. To be honest I have no idea what the fabric is even called, so trying to find more wouldn't be that easy, but I'm thinking maybe put it in the center around some blocks using, oh, I don't know, maybe French General or something.

Everyone has given me some great ideas! Thanks so much!

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

I bought some fabric of Victorian men and women. I fussy cut 10" blocks and made Attic window. I took about a 32X32" piece of the fabric and put in middle with 1 row of attic window blocks across the top, 1 row down left and right side and 1 row across the botton. I cut the middle piece in 2 strips and added a narrow vertical sashing so it looked like you were looking out of a window, with small panes surrounding it. Came out nice.

Comment

I would make a liner for a wicker breadbasket and try to squeeze out a few matching placemats or cloth napkins. I am afraid that only that much yardage is not going to go very far. But you could always improvise and make solid napkins or placemats with a strip of toile running up the sides to match the breadbasket. Now I am dying to know what you decide so please come back and show us!

Comment

Maybe think of it as a panel and add blocks around it.
                  Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

OK, this is the first draft of what I've come up with. The key here, at least in my mind, is not the complexity of block, but rather letting the fabric speak for the quilt, complementing the toile centerpiece. The block fabric is from Frrench General's La Beau Papillion collection, which I found on sale at Connecting Threads. Thanks to everyone who provided an opinion. They were all very helpful!

Rob
                    --Ken Burns

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Love it!! I wouldn't change a thing! The toile is definitely the star of the show here.

• sewUK
                      sewUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was just about to agree with the suggestions to make it a centre panel and then surround it with "something" - this is exactly what I was thinking. I agree "star of the show" but blocks maybe more muted so that the toile design stands out
                      Last edited by sewUK; September 8, 2020, 09:37 AM.

Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake. It never dawned on me (until tonight) to look at the selvage and see that the fabric was part of the Bon Voyage line from French General. Looking right now to see if any more is available. No luck so far, but I have found other pieces in the line that I think would work for the quilt.

Rob
                    --Ken Burns

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                      Claire Hallman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is good news, much of the toile around is drapery fabric which isn't ideal [possible but not ideal] for quilts. French General fabric is beautiful.
                  Working...
                  X