HSTs. Your view?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTs. Your view?

I was watching Jenny’s Bear Paw Onpoint tutorial and heard he say no HSTs. I have found HSTs easier than snowballing all through my quilting career. I am wondering about you?

I would rather make HSTs, too. I've tried all the tips and tricks for snowballing, and mine never come out even. Maybe I'm just too much of a Floridian for anything with "snow" in its name!
    Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
    🙄

Comment

After making an a queen sized Under the Stars for my granddaughter, I don't mind snowballing at all.

Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I, too, am not a fan of snowballing blocks. Maybe (to me) it seems rather wasteful of fabric. All those little pieces that are too small for me to use. I'd rather make HST's and not have the wasted fabric. Too costly for my taste. I do, however, love the patterns that Jenny does. Just wish we could have the alternative.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

Lol I'm on the avoid patterns that snowball club. Did it a couple times and left with so many leftovers. I bought the easy angle ruler for HST and never looked back.

Comment

I rather enjoy the HST, and I HATE wasting fabric, so I prefer doing most things the old way. That said, I have spent most of the summer building a quilt top out of about 1000 2 inch HST's
            TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              Can’t wait to see your quilt!

• auntstuff
              auntstuff commented
              Editing a comment
              Its going to be a while yet.....

I think making HST requires much more squaring up than snowballing. While I think the snowballing is pretty boring and mindless to do, I like the results. Here is Jenny's All My X's that I did and it is nothing but snowballed 5 inch blocks but I like how it turned out.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you and all the trimming of HSTs. The method I use depends on what mood I’m in. BTW, I love your X’s quilt. I haven’t seen you on the forum much lately. I hope all is well with you and your family.

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Ohhhhh....I love that so much!! You did a great job. I will add that pattern to my growing list!

Thanks for missing me Bubby. Family is fine healthwise but unfortunately an overnight visitor brought bedbugs into our house. We had to get an exterminator in and had the entire house sprayed even though they only found three BB and they were contained on one mattress which we threw out. But we had to wash every item of clothing in our entire house even what was in closets and drawers. All curtains had to be washed. Sewing room is a disaster everything still in boxes in the attic, yes I had to wash all my fabric which before then had been so organized by color. Plus wash every item of bedding including about 40 quilts. And remove everything on the floor of every closet, underneath beds, etc. All furniture had to be moved away from the walls and vacuumed under chair cushions etc. My house is so clean you can literally eat off the floor anywhere! Everything we removed and washed is in large contractor bags in the attic and we are still putting things away. It has been a heck of a month!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              That sounds horrendous! I don't know you, but hugs to you! That sucks. So much work and expense for you. Our house was broken into a few years ago while we were at work. It was completely ransacked. After 24 loads of laundry in one weekend I swore I would never complain about doing laundry again. I feel your pain!!

• oldmanquilts
              oldmanquilts commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't even imagine that fiasco. I suppose in light of all else we're having to endure... but it still sucks. Hat's off to you for having the wherewithall to get it done. At this point I might be tempted to light fire to it. That's the type of deep cleaning I might do once in a lifetime.

me too, i usually figure out patterns with hst's where none were used.

Comment

I don't mind them at all. One of my first quilts had a HST border all the way around. I like to use the AQ dies system and color sort the fabrics. They come out ready to piece together.

Comment

Sometimes a HST cannot be substituted for snowballs in blocks. I love HST for their versatility. One can make 10 quilts using this shape primarily, and with color you have 10 individual and very different quilts. It makes one look like they have more talent than they give themselves credit for.

That said, I'm working on a quilt now where there no way to make a substitution. This is it. Polka dot bikini by Color girl quilts. https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...RST&ajaxhist=0
                You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After doing the pinwheels I know what you mean. So many patterns from a simple HST! Wow!! I love that quilt! It reminds of cathedral windows quilting, which I love. I love her bright cheery colour choices as well. I don't think I could use such bold colours but they are very striking! Thanks for sharing.
              Working...
              X