I know it seems I complain a lot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it seems I complain a lot....

but I really don't. That said, why on earth would a quilt shop have a website that has no search engine on it? I am looking for a backing for my Lincoln quilt and found one that I really like (Larisa fabric line from Windham, picture attached). Windham's website has a listing of fabric stores that carry the line, and (supposedly) that particular fabric. Of all the stores listed, I found one that showed it in stock. I plan to call them to make sure they have what I need. Given the quilt's size, it will take 7 yards.

The problem is there were about four or five stores that had no search engine capability. That makes no sense to me. I can understand some sites not allowing you to filter items by low to high price (given that they want you to spend as much money as possible), but to not have a search function means that you would have to thumb through sometimes hundreds of pictures on the off chance they have want you want.

Doesn't seem like good business practice to me.

Rob
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Well that seems dumb to me to, especially if they plan to make any money and/or stay in business. I think most quilters develop personal favorite online shops where the website is easy to navigate, selection is good, shipping is decent. Sorry you are having this prob and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Comment

I looked around and it was sold out at one store. M* had it, but it's sold out forever. Hope you can get some. It's 108'' wide, are you sure you need 7 yds?
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, according to the calculator at the Quilter's Paradise website a 108x108 quilt with a 4-inch overage needs 6 1/8 yards. I want to get 7 to have a little extra.

Rob

I don't think you complain a lot for one but truth be told some searches are hard to find. Thousands of bolts is a good example...I always have to remember ...Rachel, look you know it's here. I hope you find your fabric and ask them where their search is? Maybe they are not aware it was left off their website set up.

Comment

No search engines frustrate me, too. The fabric you found is gorgeous. I hope they have enough in stock. Good Luck.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

First things first.

I'm confused about something. I called the quilt shop, which is in Kansas, and told the lady how large the quilt was. She thought 7 yards was too much (which honestly, I did as well the first time I saw the figure). However, when I enter the figures into the calculator I mentioned earlier, the answer it gives me is 6 1/2. I've linked to the calculator so you guys can see what I'm talking about. The quilt measures 108x108 and the longarm quilter requires 4 inches of overhang.

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/C...Calculator.php

Now, for the good news. She only had 3 1/2 yards, but I found two other places that both had stock, so I actually am getting 8 1/2 total yards (I figure we can use what's left over for something else. I REALLY LOVE THIS FABRIC!). One of the places that had stock was a place that didn't have a search engine OR a way to order online, so I did it by phone, which given that they had enough to complete the order is fine. It turns out they're in a community that I'm familiar with, and actually go through some times, so we have another place to visit on our way if we ever get back on the road.

Great way to start the day, I think!

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

If you don't use the calculator 108'' is 3 yds. maybe something is wrong with the calculater? i think it's doubling it like it was 45'' wide.

i meant like 54''
            Last edited by Hulamoon; August 24, 2020, 03:56 PM.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Maria Sews
              Maria Sews commented
              Editing a comment
              I use that calculator all the time. When I key in the measurements of the quilt plus the 4 inch overhang, I also get 6 1/2 yards for 108" backing. In order to need 3 yards, the quilt would have to measure 100" x 100" plus 4" for the overhang. You probably just made a simple typo when you keyed it in. Happens to all of us...

Oh well, I may end up with a bunch of this quilt backing left over. That's fine, since (did I mention that) I REALLY LOVE THIS FABRIC. 😁

Rob
            --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
            X