My Oliso mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Oliso mini

Promised Rhonda K. that after I used it for a while, I would give my thoughts on the Oliso mini iron.

It heats up very quickly and on its highest setting gets very hot. You need to hold it a certain way so as not to burn yourself. Not having any experience with other irons, I can't say if that's a flaw in the design or if all are like that. Also, I'm less impressed with the steam function. Seems like it doesn't work all the time, however that very well could be something I'm doing since I have been able to get it to work. It's also strange putting it on its plate instead of the end, and a couple of times when I forgot and sat it on its end some hot water leaked out, but again that could have been an error on my part. Cheryl has a Steamfast mini and full-size Rowenta, so she hasn't used mine yet, but so far I don't have any real complaints with it.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Thanks for the update! They are just the cutest irons.

I have the Rowenta and use that one for class. I may set it up with one of the wool pads to have a small station available by the machine.

Comment

I've been curious about it, but not curious enough to buy one! I have a little dritz I use for paper piecing, everything else my Jumping Jack (Oliso).
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I had one for many years but hadn't used it in a long time. Then when i got it out, it was no longer working. So i opted to toss it and return my large iron i'd just gotten and get a dry iron from Vermont Country store. so far, so good.
        you know, the one i had might not have been an Oliso after all. I have heard of their irons going bad though. they are very expensive.
        Last edited by nativetexan; August 22, 2020, 11:38 AM. Reason: name of iron

Comment

Thanks for the review on this iron. I don't buy much from Amazon but I do go there a lot just to read reviews on items that I'm interested in or thinking about purchasing. I did read that it leaks if you stand it on end or overfill it with water. Also, several reviews stated that the handle got especially hot if you keep it on the hottest setting. It's a really cute, small iron but not really geared for steaming....just bursts here & there.
          I love honest reviews & thank you for passing your experience on to us.

Comment

My daughter gave me one for Christmas-because she won one at the Birthday Bash last fall and loves hers. I too love mine, it gets very hot, all the way to the tip and works great for getting into small areas. I have not even tried adding water, I have my big iron for that, use this mostly for fusible applique pieces and when doing embroidery on onsies.
            One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

I've decided to stop using this iron. While it heats up just fine, I've burnt myself three times (fortunately not too severely, but I certainly felt it) and the steam hasn't worked right since I got it. I'm going with a Steamfast mini that I found for $13 For anything bigger I'll use Cheryl's full-sized Rowenta. I hate how much I've spent on this thing, and I'm sure it's a good iron, but high price doesn't always guarantee quality, or usability.

Rob
              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
              --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
              X