Selling Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Quilts

For those of you who quilt for a living, have you noticed a drop off in orders/commissions in 2020? If yes, do you attribute it to the economic downturn, that some people are making their own since they're locked in and need a distraction, too many other things taking up buyer's "bandwidth" right now (worries about health and jobs into the future), or something else? Just wondering what you all are experiencing with your quilting businesses.

I sell on etsy. I was grossing about $100 a month selling scrunches. Now my orders are 0. I have so much stock of craft fair type items that I made before all this started. I'm waiting for craft fairs to be going again!

Comment

• Cathy F
      Cathy F commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been toying with an Etsy shop, may I ask how long it took for your shop to get on it's feet with steady orders?

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had instant success with 1 item. I listed 6 different craft items. Not many orders with the other stuff. It was steady right away but stopped with COVID.

I would think it difficult to sell many things these days. i was going to sell some purses last Christmas. I so wish I had. Now is not the time.

Comment

I saw a story about Target and how they are setting record setting profits. People are working on their houses and yards. I bet Home Depot is making a killing too.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• K. McEuen
        K. McEuen commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to Lowe's a month or so ago for filter pads for my evaporative cooler. There weren't many empty parking spots in the lot. I think half of Albuquerque was there

I've worked for over 20 years in retail, and I can tell you that how stores are operated will only continue to change. Up until about three or four years ago I laughed when people said that the days of bricks and mortar stores are numbered. I'm not laughing any longer. The pandemic has accelerated a sea change that will only get bigger. In about five years you will see fewer physical stores and fewer available jobs. Also, some familiar names will be no more.

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

I was thinking with all the "nesting" type home improvements being accomplished, that perhaps quilts would be a nice addition to any home. The weather has been murderously hot this summer in the west, so maybe once the cooler temps start people will be inclined to purchase quilts.... or at least barter for them. 2020 has been a crazy year. I hope all of you who have quilts to sell/trade get what you want for them, however that comes about.

Comment

Money is tight, and even if it isn't for some there is enough uncertainty that "disposable income" isn't being considered as disposable as it once was. Add to that no parties (no baby showers, bridal showers, anniversaries) that people might buy quilts and crafts to give as gifts.

Comment

I think one of the other effects of all this, and it has been going on longer is the need to create. I remember when Etsy first started and my dd's and I would look through pages of things. Now it's like everyone wants to do it themselves and 'oh I can sell this' and there is too much. lol
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

My guess is that we will all be making many more things for our households/families ourselves. Hope all the quilters have bought their spouses some nice dress shirts that match their stash colors. 😉 Use it Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without will become the 'new normal.' I'm already working on a pattern to try to make new patio umbrellas since they get so beaten up by the high UV here.
              Everything old is new again. History repeats itself.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                Funny you should mention that. I just ordered 4 foam cushions to make for my patio set.

Oh i seriously can't see buying clothing and shoes online only. What a mess that would be. returns would be how companies make their money, if they even let you return. can't do that right now. so why buy?
              I saw that people can buy prescription eye glasses online now. can't tell how in the world that works.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                You get the script from your doctor. They have a feature where you upload your face and change frames like an avatar. lol

• Rob the HOAQ
                Rob the HOAQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Honestly, I only buy clothes and shoes online. I need diabetic shoes, and since I know my size, it's not a problem. I also buy my clothes online and have yet to have a problem. To be sure, most of the time I buy from Penney's, and there is a store here in town, so if I needed to return something that wouldn't be a problem. Again, though, I've never had an issue.

Rob
            Working...
            X