Shipping times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping times

I'm not going to single out any one company here, but I can't get over the vast differences in shipping times for orders. I ordered some fabric from one place on August 6 and here it is ten days later and the order still shows in process. According to their website there is plenty of what I want in stock, so it isn't on a backorder or anything. I ordered another bunch yesterday from a different store and it shipped today. I will say that I understand about M*'s shipping (and it wasn't them for either order I've mentioned) since it goes FedEx SmartPost, which I wish ALL companies would stop doing. The company that shipped yesterday is much smaller in scope than the one I ordered from on August 6, yet they seem to always have a much faster turnaround (and they do a lot of online business). I realize that this is about as big a problem as stubbing your toe, but given the amount one pays for shipping from some places, seems to me they could get it out the door quicker.

Of course, once it leaves their door they (and I) are at the mercy of whatever delivery service they use, but to be in process for ten days seems a bit much. Rant over.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; August 15, 2020, 08:04 PM.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

I think every company is working the best they know how with the current pandemic restrictions. Many are working with reduced staff, so it makes sense that items would not get shipped as speedily. I recently ordered a FQ bundle form Jordan's Fabrics. They have a statement right on their web page that shipping will take longer due to COVID-19. It's nothing I was in a hurry for, so I don't mind the delay. I've had very good service from them ever since I first ordered from them a few yrs. ago. If I lived in OR, you can bet I'd be visiting their shop. They have a wide selection of fabrics. I enjoy Donna's tutorials. Their shipping is $4.95, which is only 5 cents dif. from M*. I think patterns ship free.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course you're right, Joy, and I can understand how delivery times can be affected, but the processing time seems a bit strange. Obviously my only option is to wait, and I still will shop at wherever I can get what I want, even the slower ones.

Rob

Haven't you seen who's running the postal service now?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• oldmanquilts
      oldmanquilts commented
      Editing a comment
      And, who is that exactly?

😁😁. Obviously not a quilter.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

Ha! that got me laughing. just what i needed for a good nights sleep. Nighty night!

Comment

It has all been quite erratic. I ordered 2 items on June 17th and now that orders are paperless , the order was less a ruler and the charm pack was the wrong one. I understand mistakes happen. So I emailed about it and was told the proper items would be sent. Nothing was delivered. Sent another email and was told shipping is backed up. I was kind, I refrained from saying I had ordered 3 packages since that order was supposed to be sent, and received those. When it is a replacement order for a mistake there is nothing in orders showing about it to say if it was even sent or the date it was replaced. So shipping if it is backed up as they say, I am at a loss to understand how recent ones are out faster than old ones. I realize these are strange times, and so I continue my wait. That said what is a reasonable time to wait before asking a 3rd time about it heh ?

Comment

The shops are trying to do greater social distancing so I think they have reduced staff so it's taking longer than normal esp if you need cut yardage. None of us are happy about it but I think it's the new normal bc of CV19. I have noticed all summer that most orders take twice as long as normal and have also noticed that huge amounts of product are listed as out of stock or currently unavailable. Time for us to shop our stash and make scrap quilts. Hurry up vaccine, we need you!

Comment

I have two spools of Aurifil thread at the post office in LA for a month now. It should have arrived here August 3 after weeks of waiting according to tracking. My local post office is checking into it for me. I know they are short staffed there. My DD tells me it is on the news nightly in California. I have since reordered it from M* and got it yesterday but it took longer than usual to get here. It’s a sign of the times.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I live in Texas & ordered something from Louisiana a couple of months ago. The shipment was 2 day Priority Mail. Well, as I tracked my shipment I saw that instead of coming straight to Texas it first went up to Tennessee! Go Figure! After 10 days the package got to me. What bothers me is that I paid for 2 day Priority Mail (that was the only shipping option they gave). Some things I get really, really fast & others are like the above order....slow as a snail!

Comment

To be sure, the pandemic has affected shipping times, which is far outside the control of any one store. I get that. What I have trouble understanding is how one store can turn an order around in a day or two while another, which has a good reputation for its online store, takes 10 days (and as of this morning, still hasn't shipped my package). One could argue, with some credibility, that a smaller store doesn't do as much online business so they have the time to take care of things much quicker. Another possibility might be the location of the store. However, one I ordered from that shipped it that day was in Texas and the other is in Pennsylvania.

I don't mean this as a slam against any one company. The delayed store is one that I love shopping at, both online and in person, and I will continue to do so. But I have to say if there's something I need fairly quick,, and I see it somewhere else (even at a slightly higher price) I will order it some other place. Given the outsized prominence that online shopping has, and will have on the future of retail, I don't think too many businesses would like hearing that.

Rob
                --Ken Burns

Comment

I have been pleasantly surprised by our postal system here. Canada Post is swamped with packages in volumes that (I've read) exceed those of the Christmas season. Yet, I have received a number of packages all within seven to ten days of ordering, most of which came from the other end of the country.
                  I hope the post office can keep this up when Christmas time actually arrives!

It does take a few extra days for companies to get their shipments prepared since they have fewer staff working at one time but once that part is done, what other reasons are causing such long delays in the U.S. that we don't seem to see as much here in Canada?
                  Maria

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A certain person was appointed by a certain person to head the system.

• jjkaiser
                    jjkaiser commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes and the only qualifications that certain person had was a big fat bank account

Careful where y'all go with your political jabs and opinions until your comments are based on facts. I love to argue political points of view and I'm pretty good at it. However I didn't think religion and politics discussions was allowed here. I know they are not allowed on the other forum. So... where's the mods to weigh in on this?
                  You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You know, I didn't mention any names. If my comment gets erased, so be it. Won't be the first time.

• auntstuff
                    auntstuff commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you.

• K. McEuen
                    K. McEuen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, and this is the final warning, the next time it happens, a one week ban will be applied.

Wow, if patience is a virtue then I am the most virtuous person around!!! I shop A LOT online , in the US and Europe and I have learned to take a deep breath and be , you guessed it, patient!. Sometimes I get rewarded with a quick delivery and sometimes it takes for ever...That's the new way until there is a vaccine......
                  Sew sew sew.
                  So? So? So?

Comment

From my understanding with the pandemic, so many people are ordering food delivered as opposed to going to the grocery store and that takes priority over all other shipments. Everything else gets put on a truck if there's room. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X