Appreciate some feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate some feedback

Since I've been here, I've occasionally mentioned a quilt I was designing about Abraham Lincoln. I've finally got it to the point where I'm ready to show it. There are two main parts to the quilt, and it is huge, 108x108. I imagine it will be a collaborative effort between Cheryl and myself, with me doing some of the simpler blocks while Cheryl would do some of the more complicated ones and the applique.

Just to walk you through it. Beginning in the upper left hand corner I start out with the Kentucky Star. The next four blocks represent Lincoln's life in Kentucky. Log cabin, for obvious reasons, and then Churn Dash and Nine Patch, which were blocks that Lincoln's mother would be familiar with, and then Corn and Beans, representing Lincoln's father. The block in the upper right corner is the Indiana block. Below that are the rail fence (again, for obvious reasons), Bear's Paw, representing Lincoln's poetry on his years in Indiana, Rose of Sharon, which was a very important block to pioneer families due to its religious significance, and Clay's Choice, which marks Lincoln's growing interest in politics and his admiration for Henry Clay.

In the lower right hand corner is the Illinois block. The next block is the Broken Heart block, representing Lincoln's grief at the death of Ann Rutledge in New Salem. That's followed by a Barbara Brackman block called Lincoln's Log, which I use to signify Lincoln's move to Springfield and his "graduation" from a log cabin to a frame house. The fabric choice is intentionally gaudy, given the decor of Lincoln's house, which I've also attached as a picture. Next to that is the Courthouse Steps (again, for obvious reasons). Finally, the Union Star, representing the rising tensions in the country over the issue of slavery.

The block in the lower left corner is the White House Steps. After that is Jacob's Ladder, representing Lincoln's growing understanding of what slavery meant and what it was doing to the country. That's followed by the Gettysburg block, representing the war. Next is Lincoln's Platform, which is meant to signify what I consider to be his most important speech, the Gettysburg Address. Finally, the Yankee Mourning block, representing the assassination.

The inner part of the quilt has various pictures representing key portions of Lincoln's life. The top three photos are the earliest known portrait of Lincoln and a young Mary Todd along with the Lincoln family in the center. The pictures go in a clockwise direction with various aspects of his life, from his battles with Stephen Douglas, his election to the presidency in 1861, the issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation, the Gettysburg Address, the election of 1864, and Lincoln's assassination. The center applique comes from SuznQuilts, which I actually found at the Paducah Quilt Show. It was part of a pattern that Cheryl modified (it was her first large quilt and she wasn't quite sure of herself) and which hangs in my office. The die cut applique and pattern are still available, so I bought another one. The background fabric under the applique is a copy of the Gettysburg Address. I found a store on the internet that had yardage available, so I snapped it up.

There's a lot to drink in here, but I would truly appreciate any and all feedback.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; August 5, 2020, 11:11 AM.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Beautiful. Its going to be amazing.

Comment

Rob, that looks like a Lifetime Achievement quilt! Its gorgeous. I cant wait to see how it comes together. If you take it one block at a time I think it will come together very well and be interesting and challenging for you. I look forward to seeing how this project progresses. Please give us updates along the way.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Fantastic! I enjoyed reading all the historical facts. Middle pic - that is a very busy LR decor. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That is amazing! I love it and I enjoyed reading the story behind it.

Comment

Wow, it is amazing and I love it, so much thought went into what blocks to pick that signified his life. I just finished reading a book that is based on the lives of Mary Lincoln's sisters through the years. I know it isn't entirely factual but it does have historical fact in it.
            Carlie

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
              Rob the HOAQ commented
              Editing a comment
              If that's the one by Jennifer Chiaverini, although I've not read any of her works (I hardly ever read fiction....I don't have enough time to read as much nonfiction as I'd like), I have a friend who really likes her work. We saw her at the Paducah Quilt Show one year. Seemed like a really nice lady.

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, it is the one by Jennifer Chiaverini. I have all her books. The historical ones have been very interesting. I met her at the Minnesota Quilt Show many years ago just after she published her first book The Quilter’s Apprentice.

It's going to be amazing. One block at a time and you'll get it done. Have fun along the way.
            Katrina
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Wow Rob, for your first quilt that looks like a real challenge. But like everyone said....one block at a time & before long it will be done. I think it's going to be a real beauty when it's finished & you & Cheryl will stand back, look at it & be proud of what you have accomplished together. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
                Rob the HOAQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I need to clarify something. This won't be started for quite a while. There are a few others in the queue. Plus, I haven't got all the fabric yet. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Holy smokes! You don't mess around do you. You have put SO much thought into all aspects of this I am kind of overwhelmed as I thought you were just a beginner!!! (Yes I can hear you laughing hysterically at that.) Just getting it all laid out on the grid is a real accomplishment. I think it is going to be fabulous. It would take me about ten years to get this done. It is way outside of my comfort zone. I sure do admire your enthusiasm. You'll prob have this done before Christmas. Your report card: Pattern planning A+!

Comment

that looks wonderful! seriously wonderful. careful where you hang it or put it, some out there don't like anything Historical these days. It is all bad. I happen to love this. historical things are great to me but then I'm very patriotic and old!! Will be great!!!

Comment

I see several awards and or prizes in your future when you show this quilt. I like the design just the way it is presented. Do not see anything that would stand out as out of place. Marvelous work.
                  sigpic

Comment

Loved reading the historical background of the blocks that is going to be an amazing quilt!
                    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I would love to give you feedback, but it's hard to give feedback on PERFECTION! What an incredibly thoughtful presentation. I'm sitting here in awe of how you pulled this all together.
                      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                      X