What on earth was I thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What on earth was I thinking?

One thing I like to do is check out the clearance section of various fabric store's websites. While I don't normally buy without a specific project in mind, there are times when I will buy something "just for the heck of it." In going through the latest arrival, I noticed this fabric. I have absolutely no idea what possessed me to buy this. I think I probably saw it as one that will go for a quilt I'm designing on Lincoln, but looking at it now, it will never see that. Obviously it would make a nice Christmas fabric, but I swear that wasn't what I had in mind when I ordered it.

Have you ever bought a fabric and then when you got it home asked yourself, "What on earth was I thinking?"

Rob
    Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; August 4, 2020, 11:07 AM.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

That has probably happened to all of us at one time or another. I was given a piece of fabric that I thought would never go into anything well so after a long time of trying to figure out how to use it, I decided to make a rope bowl out of it & the bowl turned out beautiful. I like your fabric & am sure you will find a good way to incorporate it into a quilt (or something). Some day it will "speak" to you. The picture show the fabric before & after it was made into the rope bowl.rope bowl 001.JPG

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that is beautiful! I'm going to look at my stash differently now.

• Mimi_Howard
      Mimi_Howard commented
      Editing a comment
      I did the same thing with some teenage mutant turtle fabric (made a bowl)... just to use the stuff up. Everyone once in awhile an eye peeps at you. Oh I do have a long stuffed (with my cutting scraps) tube that is my wind stopper for front door, it works great but gets comments galore... doesn't exactly fit the decor, but it works!

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE your rope bowl. How did you make it? It would make a great Xmas gift for someone who has everything.

it was probably the paisley design that got you the most. Christmas is probably better for it. and yes, i've purchased fabric for one project only to change my mind later. Happens a lot!
    WOW.love the rope bowl! just saw it!

Comment

Yes and I just purged it all last week. I think maybe five boxes. But in defense it was from when I was making clothing.

I think your fabric is sort of pretty. You could fussy cut it or use it for a backing. Wine bottle gift bags. Pillows for the holidays so you don't see it but for once a year. lol
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Yep, it's happened to me. I'm working on a sampler quilt I started in the middle 90's. It was a class that got cancelled so I never got to complete it. Looking at a couple of the blocks I made have me wondering how I figured that one fabric would work with the others. I am probably going to re-do those blocks.
        Carlie

Comment

I also have bought lots of fabric that I did not have a project in mind for. I bought it just because I liked the fabric or maybe it was a sale too good to pass up. That Christmas fabric could be used for any number of projects. Quilt backing, or a table runner, or place mats. Let your creative juices flow.

Asewme ~ Love your quilt bowl. I've never made one.

Comment

Me, you were thinking of me, I love almost everything paisley and red, too, heavenly

Comment

I have lol. I just ran across a fat quarter set of 6 and thought, really Rachel? First I usually buy a minimum of 12 fat quarters that coordinate and second I can't figure out if they're flowers or trees lol

Comment

Concerning the rope bowl, there are lots of tutorials online by searching for DIY rope bowls. Here's a link from Rob Appell that is a good place to start. They do make great Christmas gifts or a nice little house gift if you are going to a friends house for dinner, etc.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3qpt4N4E2c

Comment

Last year I found 5 yards of fabric and thought the same thing, and then I turned it into a OBW, and that’s the first thing I thought of when I saw your fabric what a pretty OBW it would make! 27D836F3-CE5C-4408-9B37-450111890642.jpeg27D836F3-CE5C-4408-9B37-450111890642.jpeg

Comment

Love paisley, love red, and love flowers, even if they are poinsettias. I'd use that year-round. If fabric catches my eye I buy it. A project will always pop up. If I don't have it no projects will pop up. That is way too cool.
                    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Working...
                    X