Well, here goes nothing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, here goes nothing.....

After several weeks of going back and forth in my mind, I guess I'm finally going to give quilting a try. Several people have urged me to do my own work, although I've fought it for a while. Mainly, the idea (stupid, I know) is that quilting is not for men. Intellectually I know that's ridiculous, but old thinking dies hard. Since the pandemic began in earnest, I've been home, looking for something to do. I actually do freelance historical research and write articles, some of which have appeared in academic journals, on Lincoln and the Civil War. That has pretty much dried up, given that I can't seem to concentrate. Since I'm high risk, I don't foresee heading back to work anytime soon. Luckily, I have an understanding employer who has agreed not to call me back until I'm ready.

What pushed me over the edge is the fact that Cheryl is in need of a second machine. She's been using Mom's Janome for a few years, and while it still works like the first day Mom took it out of the box, it is 30+ years old. I really don't want anything to happen to it, so I think it's time to retire it. We found a refurbished Janome 7200 for $450 that comes with a full factory warranty that would do everything she needs it to do, so I think it's going to be "my" machine. I've even come up with a quilt pattern based on one I saw on a YouTube video. The block is a Civil War block that I've seen under several different names, but the most common is Comfort Patch. The fabric I chose is from Kansas Troubles' collection "Through the Years." Given that it's mainly putting square and rectangle blocks together, I think it should be fairly easy.

I told Cheryl last night that if you had told me even five years ago that I would be taking up sewing, I would have laughed. Of course, my first thought is what my Mom would say. I think she would chuckle, shake her head and let me give it a try, all the while secretly hoping I did a good job. Mom wasn't the most demonstrable person when it came to her emotions, but growing up we all knew she loved us and wanted the best for us. I look at this little experiment as carrying on her legacy, only I have no illusions that I'll ever be as good as she was.

Depending on how it turns out, I may or may not show it. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I've attached a picture of the design.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Good for you! Real men quilt and embroider. We show it all here...there are no quilt police. We are here to help each other. I love my Janome machines.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Go for it! Believe it or not, there are a lot of men quilters out there. Off hand, Jamie Wallen & Ricky Tims come to mind. There are a few men here on the Forum. The quilt pattern looks very straight forward for a beginner.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
        GuitarGramma commented
        Editing a comment
        And, though he's left Missouri Star, let's not forget Rob Appell! And his first name may very well inspire Rob the HOAQ!

If Rosie Grier can needlepoint, then Rob can quilt! I think it's great that your first quilt will also represent you other interests (primarily Civil War/history). Can't wait to see what you accomplish.

Comment

Who said men shouldn't sew, or quilt for that matter? Who does most of the suit tailoring, or custom automotive upholstery, and many other industrial type products? Quilting is a natural transition from other areas of sewing, but you probably won't see someone who sews for a living transitioning to doing quilts. At first my friends that I'd finally lost it. I started wanting to sew up some outerwear, which morphed to garments, with quilts becoming the final adventure. My friends no longer laugh. Besides very early on men were totally involved in quilting.

I wouldn't put the Janome away. With proper cleaning and oiling it will outlast you. It is cast iron, right? There is really nothing to wear out. Mechanical stresses on sewing machines is very low. They will virtually go forever. Two sewers? You're gonna want two machines eventually.

Go for it. The quilt pattern you show is most appropriate for a first-timer. Don't judge it, just post it here. No one else will judge it either. You may have some questions to help with the process, and pics are the best way to go. Power to the men quilters!!
        You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Go for it!!
          I wish my husband were more interested, because he has a good sense of color placement and what enhancements should be done to a quilt. Alas, he's more content with sleeping and reading Harry Potter.
          Above all else, have fun with your hopefully new hobby.
          Barbara

Comment

I think it's wonderful for you to try it out. My uncle did beautiful needlework and my dh almost got into upholstery as a career change, tired of hotel kitchens. The older gentleman that owned the shop had him so close to becoming an apprentice. That or a motorcycle mechanic. There was a school on the mainland you could get certified. He decided to stay stuck.

Don't stay stuck looking over other peoples shoulders.
            ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

I was wondering how long it would take for you to sit down to a sewing machine & actually try your hand at quilting. Quilting is for men...after all, it requires a power tool (sewing machine) & all men are into power tools. ๐Ÿ˜ I think you & Cheryl will make a perfect team together & I can't wait to see that first block.

Comment

Go for it! I think you'll get hooked!
                Katrina
                โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€ Maya Angelou

Comment

Rob Appel of Man Sewing might give you some ideas after you make your first quilt. He's fun to watch and has appeared on different quilting shows. I think he did a segment with Jennie Doan?

Comment

Congrats on your decision. I love Kansas troubles fabrics! I did a queen size bear claw out of their fabrics. Great block to try. A really easy starter pattern is yellow brick road.

Comment

The pattern you selected is one I did for my DD as a college graduation present in red and navy. She told me all of her friends were getting trips to Europe for graduation. I laughed and said ask for something I might be able to give you. She said, ok, I need a microwave. I thought about it and started making her a quilt which I hand quilted. When I presented it to after graduation she looked at me as if I had lost my mind. ...fast forward a couple of months from graduation...she phoned and said, how did you know. I said, what? she said, that I would need this quilt...I was so homesick and I wrapped up in the quilt and there you were.

Quilting offers us a lot of wonderful memories and skills. Each quilt you make will become part of you or perhaps you become part of the quilt. I'm not sure. BUt the memories will remain and the stories that they hold for you. When I was quilting for the Shriner project my DD's said, mom, you quilt like its a job....you are driven. It was a good time for me and the forum friends I met thru that project are priceless. Now I am a bit adrift but when I am at that machine and sewing, I feel like I am on top of the world and that my creations are special. (oh, did I mention I'm not a perfectionist and I really don't care) I think what I create are the best of who I am. Maybe that will work for you.
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Good advice here. GO FOR IT!!
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

You're hooked, Rob! Looking forward to seeing your work!
                          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Rob - really enjoyed reading your 'history' and this is just another stage in that history and well worth 'having a go'. I also admire you for not thinking quilting isn't for men - just think Kaffe Fassett - he knits as well !!! Enjoy and good luck to you both.

Comment

Working...
                            X