A spelling mistake on a precut? Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A spelling mistake on a precut? Wow!

I was going through my layer cakes the other day and I noticed a misspelled word on the first fabric of one I have that was put out by Moda for a well known designer. It appears to be a true mistake because none of the other words on the fabric are misspelled. In fact, the same word is repeated in a different color on that piece of fabric and it is spelled correctly. I am sure once I use the fabric in a quilt, it will likely go unnoticed or maybe I will cut the piece in such a way as not to use it at all. It's probably not a big deal, but when I saw it, I was surprised and a little disappointed.

Oh I am curious about that. Can you show us a picture? Moda is always so high quality.

Comment

Here's a picture of it. Notice the words Daisy Chian in red to the left side of the label. It should say Daisy Chain. It is spelled correctly in blue in the lower right. How could someone have missed this?

Comment

How funny! Maybe some day it will become a collector's item, like a misprinted postage stamp.
        Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
        🙄

Comment

That’s too funny. I’m surprised no one caught it before it was printed. As for me, I’d fussy that & put it front & center in a block, just for grins. But then I have a weird sense of humor.
          May the road rise up to meet you...
          May the wind be always at your back...
          May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
          Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
            That’s too funny. I’m surprised no one caught it before it was printed. As for me, I’d fussy that & put it front & center in a block, just for grins. But then I have a weird sense of humor.
            I was thinking the same thing!

I'm not surprised about it. I can proof read something 10 times and still miss a typo! Before I retired, a long time ago, I was out of the office and one young man typed a document for some one. He misspelled a word, but he typed a cuss word, you know, the one starting with the letter "F"!. It went through several people, all college graduates, who supposedly proof read it! My first day back at work, I got the blame for it. Because I trained the guy. The only person to catch it was my boss. No one called to complain about the typo.
            Vonnie

Comment

• GuitarGramma
              GuitarGramma commented
              Editing a comment
              That sounds awful! It's terrible that you got the blame—after all, your fingers didn't do the typing!

At one job, my boss sent out a targeted eMail to our non-profit's donors. She was in a rush, so didn't ask me to proofread. But her finger slipped on the "Dear" and she typed ...
              "Dead Donor,"
              She caught the mistake the next day, but she'd already sent the eMail. Fortunately, it was the first week in November, so she sent an apology eMail with a joke about the Halloween influence lasting a bit too long!

I ran into the same thing once when I was using a fabric line called Olive’s Flower Market. One of the precuts was labeled Olive’s Flower Garden. I wish I had kept the boo-boo. It just goes to show se are all human. Mine was on the packaging labels only....not on the fabric.
            Last edited by Bubby; August 2, 2020, 05:54 AM.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I just went back to my layer cake. In it, there is also a piece of the same design in green and in blue. Apparently the error is across the board for this particular design. I got lucky and the 10 inch square of green I received does not have part with the error, but the blue one also has the error. At least on the blue piece, it is near the edge, so it will be chopped off when sewn.

I then went to a website that sells this fabric and sure enough I could see the error on the other palettes of this design. It's like Vonnie said - you can proofread something over and over and still not catch the mistake. In this case, I am sure by now, Pat Sloan and Moda are well aware of this design flaw, but it was evidently caught after the fabric was printed or too late in the design process to make a change.

It frustrates me because my quilts always have enough mistakes as it is, lol. Whatever I would make using this white piece, my eye would always be drawn to it. I will probably just save the piece unless I can cut out the misspelled word.

Comment

I would not even try to cut around it. It's not your mistake and you will laugh (and hopefully not cry) every time you see it. But I would email Moda. Maybe they will send you something free. Just act like you didn't notice it till you finished your blicks so they don't ask you to return it.

Comment

If it is truly bothersome to you, I would contact Moda. They may send you some other fabric to make up for their mistake on this one.
                  Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Ha ha, JJ. No, then Moda would ask to see the quilt I made with the mistake. Then I would have to whip one up! Oh, and did I mention, I also have a jelly roll of this same collection? I have not opened it to see if the misprint happened to be in my 2 1/2 bundle. I can't make myself look, lol. With my luck, my strips would all be cut with that misspelled word going across the whole strip!!

Comment

Does anyone have an email address for Moda? I went to their website, but all I could find was a mailing address and an 800 number. I would prefer to email them. Thank you.

Comment

Their customer service email is [email protected]

If you go to their "contact us" page under "company info" there are a bunch of contacts with a little envelope by the side. That is where their various email addresses are.

Rob
                        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                        --Ken Burns

Comment

Here's their site:

https://modafabrics.com/about-us/company-info

Comment

That's too funny. Not surprised though because I don't think "modern society" is big on proofreading. And, I'm not sure what the proofreading process might be in a fabric design. I'd say most of the responsibility is the designer's where they would approve the final screening and registration.

Maybe it was supposed to be "Daisy China." I'd just use it either way but I'd take advantage of Moda's generosity if they have any.
                            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Working...
                            X