Automatic bobbin winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic bobbin winder

Hello, does anyone use a separate bobbin winder? I read lots of Amazon reviews and its mixed, some say they dont work some say its great....what brand do you use etc...Thanks for your replies. (I broke the thingy on my Brother machine).
    Sew sew sew.
    So? So? So?

For a number of years I used the "Side Winder" for my domestic machine's bobbins. Recently it started to slow down, so I started thinking about replacing it. Then my bobbin winder on my long arm started giving me concerns, so I knew I needed a new winder that would accommodate both types of bobbins and ordered this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/5551514...ef=shop_review I've only had it a few months, but love it so far. Pricier that some, but IMO, worth the extra bucks. He's currently sold out, but if you contact him, he would probably put you on a waiting list if you're interested.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention, I paid $150 plus shipping & tax. Shipping was $23 (this unit is heavy) and came priority mail, so worth the extra shipping cost.

Comment

• mario1360
        mario1360 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Caroline T they do not ship to Canada. I will investigate a better quality machine then these plastic mini ones.

You should be able to order the replacement part.

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/br...odel-list.aspx

Comment

• mario1360
        mario1360 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rhonda K , I contacted Brother but since it is an integral part of the body there is not a replacement.

On my DSM I use the built-in bobbin winder. I am able to wind bobbins with the thread coming through the needle, which is convenient. For my Baby Lock Tiara II table LA, it came with a separate bobbin winder.

Comment

I purchased the side-winder a couple years ago, before I had my Babylock Destiny (bobbin winder works great on that). I took the side-winder back because there was a missing part. Got a replacement and took that one back because it just didn't wind the bobbins. So now I just use the built-in winders on the Destiny and on the longarm.
        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a Sidewinder and don’t like it at all. I have better luck using my sewing machine winder.

I have always used a separate bobbin winder. My main machine doesn't even have a "built in" winder but rather one that sits off to the side and runs off the belt. That allow me to have a separate cone of thread and it winds as I sew.
        For a small affordable winder look at what Goldstartools has, it works for both the L and M bobbins.

Comment

I don't have a separate bobbin winder. About two years ago I was looking at a Sidewinder at JA and asked one of the clerks about it. She said she had one but was very disappointed in it bc it did not wind bobbins tight enough or evenly so they jammed up her machine all the time. She also said she only bought it bc it was a Singer product and she expected it to be a much higher quality. So I did not buy it. Maybe it has been improved by now but I wouldn't count on it. Singer's reputation has gone downhill.

​​​​​​

Comment

I have the Sidewinder. My husband put a heavy weight washer in the base to keep it from tipping and it works great. I have had it for close to ten years with no problems winding the bobbin correctly.

Comment

Working...
            X