Creative Grids facemask template, tweaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative Grids facemask template, tweaked

A few weeks ago I got my new CG facemask template and was excited to use it. I made a test mask for myself using the medium size. I have an average size face and nose. I wore it out shopping and it kept slipping off my nose even though I added a nose wire. I added four pleats, two on top, two on bottom but was still not the tight fit I wanted. I made a children's mask (size small) for my 4&7 yo gds and the fit was not tight enough.

I have no experience sewing clothing or nonquilting stuff so when faced with a dilemma like this my mind draws a blank. If you put too many pleats in a mask it doesn't seem to fit right and it just looks kind of shoddy. I came up with a solution that worked really great. Cut out the mask and lining on the original lines. Your first seam is the curved seam that goes over the nose in the center of the mask. I sewed that seam at 1/4 inch. Now, stop and sew a second seam 1/4 inch away from your first seam. Then use the curved edge on the template to trim off your first seam. I know this kind of wastes thread and a 1/4 inch wide strip of fabric but it was easier for me to do it this way than sewing a 5/8 inch seam accurately or adjusting the pattern, because I really wanted to use the template. Proceed to make the mask the rest of the way per the instructions. The good news is the mask is an excellent fit, including for the kids, and no wire or pleats are needed to make a snug fit.

Hope this helps you if you are fussing with trying to get a good fit. The CG template is really nice and has a great curved shape so I don't want to discourage anyone from getting it.

Thanks for the info. I found it did not fit as snug as I would like I put one fold in that was marked on the template but found it a little too loose still and was going to cut the elastic at 6 1/4 instead of 6 1/2. Will try your suggestion.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I got my pattern free from sewmuchmoore.com I printed and cut it from 1/8" Lexan. I found it to be a little big as well, but adjusted the size on the center seam. It seems to fit a bit better, especially for bearded men. I made a couple dozen and got bored with it. I found Hanes masks at Walmart- 5 for $7.50. I can't make them for that. I find that the masks made from quilting cottons made me anxious after a bit. The Hanes mask made from stretchy t-shirt knit are comfortable for wearing all day.
      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

I'd been making face masks with a similar shaped pattern and had the same fit issues. Using a shoe string to tie it on surgeon-style helped the mask to get a better seal, but I felt smothered with the fabric being right against my mouth and nostrils.

The 3D mask has been the best pattern I've tried so far. You can put a nose wire in it, and all the top stitching helps it hold its shape after washing. There's good fit and coverage, and a bit of breathing room on the inside.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
          oldmanquilts commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes- the 3-D mask is a lot better of all the masks made from quilting cottons. My DIL is making them and they are quite good and do breathe better. The extra volume inside is the key to easier breathing.

Here's a link to the 3-D mask that I've been making. I would say my face is average & I used the large size pattern for mine. I like it a lot but DH still like the rectangular ones with the pleats. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

https://hellosewing.com/3d-face-mask-diy/

Comment

With the Creative Grids mask pattern I found that I needed to adjust the elastic length. The medium size is what I have made the most of. Instead of cutting the medium size elastic 6- 7 inches I found for this size that cutting the elastic about 5 3/4 inch worked better. I use the 1/4 banded elastic from Shabby Fabrics. ( this small size seems to cut down on irritation around the ears ) I also put the one pleat that is indicated at the bottom of the pattern. So far its been my favorite mask pattern.

I feel lucky I was able to find black Moda Bella solid fabric at a local shop today. I have the fabric in time out as well call it in the garage and will bring it in the house in 48 hours and make more masks.
          Last edited by TMP; July 31, 2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X