Jelly Roll Rug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly Roll Rug

Hello, quilty friends! Have any of you made the Jelly Roll Rug? Jenny did a tutorial on it a while back. My question is: do you have yours in a high-traffic area? That is, would a rug made this way wear as well as an old-fashioned braided wool rug?

Also (okay, I know this is more than one question): Have you used this technique to make other things, like placemats? And if so, how do you clean them?

And finally, have you used a tool to make the tube? I saw a gizmo online that looks like an oversized bias tape maker; do you think it would make the process easier?

Thanks, Everybody! Looking forward to hearing from you.
    p.s. And if you can post pics, that would be great.

for tubes i've always used my old turners https://www.ebay.com/i/123107122485?...00af8be7cfc702
    wow, hope that works.
    didn't know tubes were made for jelly roll rugs. makes sense though. there are all kinds of turners out there.

Comment

• SallyO'Sews
      SallyO'Sews commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, but these "tubes" are more like double-fold bias tape, with batting on the inside, so you just stitch the folds together with no turning required. What I'm wondering is how well the rugs made this way hold up to traffic. I worry about whether the stitching would come out when people walk on them.

I"m just amazed that people can make these rugs on regular machines! I think they hold up well and probably can be washed. they sell this type of rug made by huge machines, so evidently we can make them also. hopefully someone who's done this will pop in here soon.

Comment

Could this be the 'gizmo' you mentioned - if so maybe helps to see it in action. I remember having one of those smaller bias tape makers a few years ago - it does seem a bit long-winded though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoWPD6YUvTA

Comment

Great "gizmo" for making the rugs. I haven't made one yet but it might be something in my future & would for sure buy one of those tools to make it.

Comment

Cheryl makes them (she's currently making one for a co-worker as a wedding present), and the ones we use in the house have held up well. We have one in the laundry room, which is also the back door exit, so it gets a lot of foot traffic. It's been down for about a year and still looks good.

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

I have made several, and my first one is by my kitchen sink, so it needs to be cleaned regularly. It washes up great in the washing machine and I partially dry it in the dryer, then block it with my hands to smooth it and let it air dry. It was a bit wavy when I first made it, but is flat now after a number of washings.

i bought that tool you spoke of and yes, it is like a big bias tape maker, but I haven’t had a chance to try it out.

Comment

Thanks very much! You all are the best! 😊

Comment

Do you use an actual jelly roll or do you cut your strips from leftovers. The reason I ask, it's kind of expensive to use top of the line quilt fabric to make these. Also, has anyone cut their own batting strips? This really looks like something to make with leftover batting also.
                Vonnie

Comment

Cheryl does a combination of both. On the rug she's making now we are using some leftover strips and she bought some clearance yardage to run through her AccuQuilt and make strips. As for batting, she doesn't cut it herself, but rather buys the 2 1/2 batting strips. In fact, we just placed an order last night for a 2 1/2 x 50 yard package of the stuff. It's not really cheap, but it does save some time.

Rob
                  Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; August 1, 2020, 05:07 PM.
                  There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                  --Ken Burns

Comment

• Vonnie
                    Vonnie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! I just don't like the idea of people stepping on the quilt fabric! LOL
                Working...
                X