Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know what it takes to make our fabric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you know what it takes to make our fabric?

This morning, my hubby said, "I wish we could see a 'How Do They Do That' show about how they make fabric" (he's a really good husband). I grabbed my nearby tablet and pulled up YouTube. We watched two short videos, one about making the fabric and one about how patterns are printed. It's fascinating. I am humbled by what it takes to feed this quilting habit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0C3EnTji3A&t=5s - Making fabric from threads, 4 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuR2x0lorLg - Printing designs on fabric, 17 very worthwhile minutes

Enjoy!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Thanks for this. That is pretty cool.
    Last edited by Monique; July 26, 2020, 04:49 PM.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I watched most of the second one, really interesting. My question is, with all that work that goes into this..why are there so many ugly fabrics?๐Ÿ˜†
      ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

• GuitarGramma
        GuitarGramma commented
        Editing a comment
        That is SO TRUE! I think they're all made for the "Big J" store. (Don't quote me! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

• Star lover
        Star lover commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess โ€œuglyโ€ and well as beauty......are in the eyes of the beholder ๐Ÿ˜€

• oldmanquilts
        oldmanquilts commented
        Editing a comment
        Someone has to design the print and pick colors before any fabric is run. Their tastes are different and they like "ugly."

This brought back memories of going to the mill where denim for Wrangler jeans was made. What a day that was! They were from cotton bales through making the denim. Another factory in town took the bolts and cut the fabric for the jeans. It was amazing to watch.

My Grandma Phillips was a burler, she stood at the machine with her foot on the pedal, inspecting the fabric as it zoomed from one roll to the next. She was amazing, she could spot a defect in a heart beat, fix it or mark it to be cut out.
      Katrina
      โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€ Maya Angelou

Comment

• GuitarGramma
        GuitarGramma commented
        Editing a comment
        Fascinating! I noticed another YouTube on the making of jeans. I may go watch that now that I know your grandma was a part of the industry!

Fascinating! Thank you!
      ๐Ÿ’ซ Star lover

Comment

My husband worked at a plant in Georgia, when we got out of the service (45 years ago) He had to watch so many strands as they were being run - catch if one broke, re-tie it and then fix the spot on the fabric so there were no holes. I got to tour the plant one day - UGH - my eyes were going blurry.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
          GuitarGramma commented
          Editing a comment
          I really am humbled by what people do to create fabric. I had no idea before watching these videos!
      Working...
      X