Practice makes perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice makes perfect

I just wanted to encourage anyone struggling with getting their machine binding to look nice. My first few attempts were far from perfect, almost embarrassing. I stuck with it and I finally have nice mitered corners and a very pretty binding!
    Attached Files

Looks really good! You're right, Practice makes perfect!!! ( my paternal GMA used to tell me this after playing her the newest part of my piano piece each week. She insisted to my parents that (this was when I was 18-24 months old) I had "the touch" grandma said (as far as piano keys go..my mom said it was just "banging" on the piano keys to her!) when I turned 3 Grandma begged my dad to get a piano and hire a piano teacher for me which he did. I began piano lessons at 3 1/2 yrs old. I remember being the youngest student (at 4 1/2) at my first piano recital. (my grandma sat right next to me on stage....beaming with pride!)

Anyway....no matter what we were learning to do, GMA would always say "Keep practicing".....I was almost 10 yrs old when grandma passed away. That was the first time I sang a solo in church. I sang "The Old Rugged Cross" ... One of .Grandma's favorites.

Anyway, any time I do something, I can hear grandma saying "Practice makes perfect." She's right.

You did a great job!
    thQ2A9SYO1Bless you.jpg
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

What a lovely story ❤️!!

Comment

I need to transition to machine stitched bindings due to having arthritis in my hands. So far I have done a table runner and a placemat and they both look pitiful. It’s time for me to get serious and practice. I would be thrilled if mine looked as nice as yours!
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Barb ~ Sew binding strips on practice sandwiches to perfect your technique. I've been doing mach. sewn bindings for several years, even before the hand arthritis problem. I think the secret is to use a sewing gauge & fold over a consistent width. I use pins to hold the binding in place.
          Before stitching, I press the fold on both the front & back. Then I do SITD on the front & it catches the edge on the back. Sometimes I have to readjust the corners, but it works well most of the time. Practice makes perfect!

That corner looks perfect! Thanks for encouraging the rest of us.

Comment

very nice job! This is something I struggle with too. I've been practicing but I'm not there yet.

Comment

Looks great!!! I too do bindings by machine except I sew it on the back and use a decorative stitch on the front. I love this method and my hands like this method too!!

Comment

Looking good. Oh, if you would have seen my first bindings. There was always one corner that poked out. Then it came to me, now I get it.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
              X