Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about fabrics

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking for advice on fabrics. I purchased cotton face masks for my family that have a pocket for filter material. The masks themselves fit very well, but the material is quite thin so a decent filter is necessary. I have read that adding either silk or flannel to a cotton mask improves filtration. Also, I've read that quilter's cotton is higher quality than other cottons, so I was thinking of a quilter's cotton/silk filter.

I am not a seamstress or a quilter, so I need direction on finding a high quality fabric. (I purchased flannel online, but it got quite "pilly" when I washed and dried it).

Ideally, I'd like to get 100% cotton flannel or 100% silk that could be washed (preferably in hot water). I'd also like advice on what to look for when purchasing a high quality quilter's cotton. I'm assuming these materials would be all natural, but please let me know if I need to be wary of chemicals added to the fabrics (e.g., dyes, stiffeners, etc. that are added).

I am going to find a local seamstress to sew the filters so that the edges don't fray.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Newbie77

I used quilter cotton and batiks for most of my masks and did not do a third layer...have been told it makes it difficult to breath with 3 layers...however, since the fabric you chose is a bit thinner, you could use layer of batik as a filter piece. Batiks are really tightly woven. Batiks are what I use when making masks for medical staff...but just 2 layers and leave the pocket open so they can slide in a N95 filter if they choose to do so.
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Most of the tutorials online and there are million of them, show the filter inside a pocket. you could still use that flannel if it was assembled that way.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks so much! Are there organic quilter's cotton available? I called a fabric store and asked about chemical free materials. The person mentioned two processes (sanforizing and mercerizing) they treat fabrics with chemicals. I want to avoid those!

Comment

Etsy has some in some nice prints

https://www.etsy.com/search/craft-su...ton&explicit=1
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

IMO, flannel is too hot. I think it holds the moisture more, which probably is not ideal. I used 2 layers of quality cotton in my masks.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
              IMO, flannel is too hot. I think it holds the moisture more, which probably is not ideal. I used 2 layers of quality cotton in my masks.
              Found this out the hard way! My oldest called and asked if I could make him several masks and please don't use flannel this time! Masks are mandatory where they live.
              Vonnie

Comment

If the filter can be easily inserted you can use coffee filters. The nice thing on these is that they can be cut to fit and changed regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Teen View Post
                  I used quilter cotton and batiks for most of my masks and did not do a third layer...have been told it makes it difficult to breath with 3 layers...however, since the fabric you chose is a bit thinner, you could use layer of batik as a filter piece. Batiks are really tightly woven. Batiks are what I use when making masks for medical staff...but just 2 layers and leave the pocket open so they can slide in a N95 filter if they choose to do so.
                  I'm curious. Are the batiks that you are using bleeding into the other fabrics once you wash them?
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie77 View Post
                    Thanks so much! Are there organic quilter's cotton available? I called a fabric store and asked about chemical free materials. The person mentioned two processes (sanforizing and mercerizing) they treat fabrics with chemicals. I want to avoid those!
                    "Organic" fabrics ain't gonna happen. The chemicals are a necessity in the production of cloth. Not to worry- It is totally rinsed out before printing. The fabrics to avoid are those recommended for children's clothes which are treated with a fire retardant post printing. If it says "not recommended for children's sleepwear," it's as good as it gets.

You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Cheryl works in healthcare and has made a ton of masks. For ours, she used her scraps and then put quilt batting (poly-cotton blend) between layers. I've worn my mask for several hours at a time and I haven't had any breathing issues, plus it's pretty comfortable. So far it seems to have gone through the washer just fine.

Rob
                      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                      --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
                      X