Have you made an ironing board cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you made an ironing board cover?

My ironing board cover has a big rip in it so time for a new one. The last one I bought from Jo Ann's and it was such a piece of junk, barely fit, and fabric as thin as a hankie. I am going to make my own and wonder what type of material would be best. I love muslin but don't think it would last as I iron for piecing or cutting about 5 days a week. I was thinking upholstery material that looks like heavyweight printed canvas. What did you use?

I just made one. I put a layer of cotton batting, a layer of insul bright then I just covered it with a heavier white cotton. My board is one of those extra wide ones and pretty new, but the legs always get so rusty here. I brushed it all down with a stiff brush and wrapped it in a floral Duck tape. That's why I did a solid cover. I'll take a pic.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Why do you need Insulbrite? Will it start on fire or something if you skip that?

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        I was reading in a blog that it heats the fabric from both sides like the silver that some boards have.

The retreat center I have been to used ticking, I love it because of the straight lines helping me line/square up as I press.

Comment

I use the silver ironing board fabric sold in the utility s ection at Joann's
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Oh I didn't even know there was such a thing. I will look it up. Thanks.

Comment

I have never made an ironing board cover. For many years I've been buying the silver silicone covers from Amazon. None of the local stores have what I want or the size I need. I have 2 ironing boards -- one on which I iron, & another one that sits next to my Sew Steady table extension. The fabric & quilt sandwiches slide much better across the surface of the silicone covers.

Comment

the ironing board cover I made (first one) was I layered down an old woolen blanket down first then used the old cover for a pattern and gave a seam allowance for 2 inches around. (which is too generous-should have kept it at 1 1/2 inch) just turn over and then over again to sew a casing, leave a hole to put your cording through and pull it tight as it lays over your ironing board and knot it. I used cotton fabric over the woolen blanket. I used to woolen blanket because it makes seams lie flat. this is for a standard ironing board. hope I'm not to late to the party. Good luck.

Comment

I have one of the "big boards" that sit on top of regular ironing board (20x58) and I use cotton duck canvas from Joann's to re-cover mine. Usually find in a color I like, it is sturdy, and with a coupon or on sale can be had for about 5.00 per yard. And is inexpensive enough that when it gets dirty, or as happened - burned, or I just don't like anymore, I can replace.

Comment

I used the silver ironing board fabric when I made mine but check out the Daily Deal today!
                  Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• Teen
                    Teen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just bought a new cover 2 weeks ago....lol...Dang! I may just buy the daily deal and store it for future.

• jjkaiser
                    jjkaiser commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh thank you!! I was all set to make my own but that DD fabric with meas tape was way too cute to pass up! And it's made by Moda so it should be pretty nice.
                Working...
                X