Good Iron needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Iron needed

I tripped over my iron cord the other day and now need a new one. my old one is a Hamilton beach with retractable cord. don't need the cord thing, nor do i need steam. or heavy. any suggestions out there for a good not so heavy iron with no steam? I usually go to Walmart but can order online if I must.

I may even try cordless again if it had a stand where the iron would be upright when heating. I have little space but the cord does drive me nuts. i then place the iron off the end of the ironing board to cool. I do need to modernize!

Comment

I buy cheap irons, I once bought an expensive one and it died quick. Certain things in quilting I'll spend money on but irons is not one. I have a Hamilton beach with retractable cord.

Comment

I have started using an old travel iron plugged into a receptacle with a switch and a light so I know when it is on or off. I never put water in it, if I need steam I just squirt the fabric with a water bottle. I think irons are disposable, buy cheap ones then replace when they die.

Comment

Kind of a funny thing; buy a really expensive iron and replace it in 3 years, or buy a cheaper one and keep it for 10....
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

To be honest I didn't think there was such as a non steam iron. I guess there are several. I didn't look at prices, but I would just get a good iron and not put water in it.🤣

https://superiorreball.com/iron-without-steam-holes/
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

well yes, no water, no steam. I just figured they must know by now not everyone wants steam. 😅
              I have the #10 one. too small for yardage though. Thanks.
              I ended up ordering a Rowenta cordless. I tripped over my old iron's cord so that was a must. Hope i like the Rowenta, had one years ago.
              Last edited by nativetexan; June 24, 2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                I got one of those Cordless Panasonics that everyone loves so much. I found it way to small for yardage too.

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                I had a rowenta. Don't put water in it, it killed it. It spits if you don't use distilled. At least that was my experience.

I have a Black & Decker. It is heavy. It also has steam, which I use frequently. It is corded. It's been an old faithful. This is the 2nd one I've had.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree, a real workhorse. My daughter bought me a Sunbeam and it's been great too.

• auntstuff
                auntstuff commented
                Editing a comment
                My B&D is about 18 years old and still cooking along.

• Cokie
                Cokie commented
                Editing a comment
                I have one of these too.

well i got my Rowenta cordless iron today. It is much more light weight than my Hamilton Beach. so far it doesn't seem to be as hot so i may have to put it on Jeans setting. We will see. I like the charging cradle it sits in. i was able to take the iron caddy off the end of my ironing board and will have more room to press and no cord getting in my way. Wish me luck!

Comment

I have a Rowenta Perfect Steam Station :
                https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...a-79391ce1dd4e
                I also have a Sunbeam Classic :
                (I believe I purchased this about 20 yrs ago, when my other iron died that I got as a bridal shower gift.)
                https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Anti-...3339822&sr=8-4
                I purchased one for our travel trailer when camping. I usually use the laundromat (on the premises) at the campground so that I could iron my uniforms and go to work from the campground that was 15 miles away from the hospital I worked at.
                When we sold the camper to a couple of newlyweds, I left the portable ironing board, iron, etc. When I told the couple all the things in the trailer was part of the sale, etc. I never seen a young woman (25-26 yrs old and pregnant with their first child) so happy! Terry wasn't going to leave the kids Picnic table he made for the kids when we camped, We got such a nice thankyou letter right before they went on their first camping trip from the couple that began a friendship long friendship between the couple & her parents.
                I loved being able to see that couple from time to time when we camped after we sold the trailer. (We didn't purchase a Motorhome as planned. My parents used to let us take their motorhome sometimes and we often went camping with my parents and two sisters and their families.
                Anyway, both of those irons even though they were cheap, are great irons. In fact our cat "Buffy" knocked the one I had for the trailer off the counter(in the trailer 2-3 times, and it's still going strong. (I put the one I had in the house in the travel trailer so that the kids had a good iron.

When Terry purchased that Rowenta Perfect Steam Station.....I was shocked that it cost so much!!! I would have never purchased it for myself.
                Iron.jpg
                Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Hmmm, they must test the steam function on irons before mailing them. mine is dotted with water inside and i didn't put it there. i opened the little lid to let it dry out. still dotted this morning. strange.

Comment

I am not fond of my new iron. 1500 watts but even on Jeans setting, it's not very hot. cordless is great but i need better pressing from my iron. Still looking and may return this one! well, all boxed up for return.
                    now ordering Knapp Monarch Premium dry iron from Vermont Country Store. it has a cord but it's 8 foot so maybe i can keep it out of my area where i walk this time! no tripping allowed.
                    my little iron that fits in the palm of my hand was so old it no longer worked. so until this one comes there will be no ironing for me.
                    Last edited by nativetexan; July 3, 2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Nativetexan, let us know how the new one works for you. Irons are always a dilemna. I found the Rowenta ones always spit and leaked too. The one that they use on Jordan Fabrics looks amazing. Probably out of my price point.
                      I am Sew Blessed!
                      Alina

Comment

I will find out tomorrow. mine is on it's way. i emailed them and they said the one i got is 1000 watts. Did say i could return it if not for me. So we will see....

Comment

it looks like i never responded on the new dry iron. I love it. heavy for me but that is better than the other one I had to press hard to get fabric wrinkles out well. so this Vermont Country Store Premium Dry Iron Knapp Monarch 77684 is a good one. $54.00 and 1000 watts i think. i do set it between five and six to get it hot like i like it. I sit it on the bookcase behind my ironing board so the cord doesn't bother me at all. happy presser here 🤗🤩

Comment

Working...
                          X