Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuitarGramma
    replied
    Here's the most important lesson I learned about embroidery—and I learned it too late. Rayon and polyester have different properties, and there are some projects where you ought not mix the two. Rayon is more fragile, but has a softer drape. It's particularly good for clothing as it flows with the cloth AND cloth itself wears out, so it doesn't matter that the rayon will, too. Polyester is more durable and stiffer than rayon. Both the color and the thread itself will last longer.

I only learned this AFTER I was half way done with a huge Hoopsisters project. I had chosen thread strictly by color, with no consideration for rayon vs. polyester. The hours I put into that quilt, only to later learn that my rayon threads are going to wear out faster than my polyester threads! It's an expensive lesson to learn, both in terms of time and dollars.

Leave a comment:

• MSN
    replied
    Congratulations on your new purchase, Beth! Bernina recommends Mettler or Isacord; those are the only brands I have tried. What does BabyLock recommend for their machines? I definitely recommend the Kreative Kiwi website. They have very reasonably priced designs (many are free or $1), and they also have a lot of free YouTube tutorials. Those tutorials walked me through my first "in the hoop" projects.

https://www.kreativekiwiembroidery.co.nz/home.html

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied
    When I got my machine it came with a wonderful sampler pack. Maybe your dealer has one or this one on Amazon has great reviews and a decent price too .

https://www.amazon.com/Madeira-20990...96193666&psc=1

Leave a comment:

• oldmanquilts
    replied
    I know at this time that Sewing Machines Plus has the Flourish II. which inlcudes a starter pack of thread and stabilizers (easy $150 worth) for $1499.

I'm new to this embroidery thing, but am developing some preferences in the stabilizer area. It depends a lot on what type projects you'll be doing, but I can get it down to 4-5 different types. The brand I like is Dime by Exquisite. The main reason? The packaging. The tubes it comes in is way handy. As far as the product itself, it works well but I'm also trying some Floriani. Good stuff too. There are several others out there, but not available in the sizes I require. I'd love to buy pre-cuts, but they are premium priced, and again not in the sizes I want.

I'll probably end up with a medium cut-away, a fusible (or not) tearable- soft to medium, a water soluble, and a soluble topping. And maybe a couple others as it's called for.

Leave a comment:

• Trudy A
    replied
    I have made the decision and made an appointment to pick up and get a one-one lesson on a BabyLock FlourishII I get it on Thursday and my daughter is coming along so she can also get the lesson.
    Now my question what "accessories" will be needed to go with. Favorite thread? What stabilizer do you find you use most often? Any tutorials you recommend? What are your favorite beginner projects?
    Thanks for all your help.

Leave a comment:

• Pandabear
    replied
    I have the Flourish - not the II though, and I absolutely love mine. I've never needed a hoop bigger than a 6x10 but then I tend to like smaller projects. I did invest in a 4x4 hoop so that I wasn't wasting stabilizer for the smaller things.

Leave a comment:

• oldmanquilts
    replied
    Yeah Sherrie- the investment in necessities is fun, even though we'd rather not spend more than necessary. I take other's experiences in mind when shopping, but for the most part would rather do the tests and make selections on what works for me, with the intention on having what I need, so selections are kept to the minimum, but always have supply.

I'm what you'd call a thrifty thread snob, so testing the different threads is a lot of fun. I've bought both cheap and expensive.
    those touting the benefits of expensive threads can afford it better than I. I'm developing a feel for what I like, and right now the lower cost thread is winning. Stabilizers is not so exciting but I think I can narrow it down to four of five types in the end..

Dsigns for sale? The collections are mind boggling. I have a couple places that provide designs that fit my needs better than others. This new experience is way too much fun!

Leave a comment:

• sherriequilts
    replied
    I purchased a Babylock Flourish II on December 31st. I love this machine and I’m an absolute beginner. My dealer offered free one on one classes plus they always have time to help me when I come in. Some other things to consider when purchasing an embroidery machine is you’ll have additional purchases to make - thread, a variety of stabilizers, bobbins. Then you’ll find ALL these wonderful sites selling embroidery designs and then someone mentions that if you had embroidery software you can really manipulate those designs and on it goes. . Anyway it is a lot of FUN ... just build those extra purchases into your budget so you can have the most enjoyment!

Leave a comment:

• oldmanquilts
    replied
    My experiences are fairly new, having only had mine for a short while, but I have these suggestions.

Combo machines are ok if you don't absolutely have room or budget for two machines, and only use it for embroidery.occasionally. Embroidery only machines offer you so much more versatility, and there isn't anything that's reported to be dual-purpose that does the best job of both
    Naturally get as much hoop size as you can afford, but it helps to know what types of designs you'll be doing. I have 8x8 as the largest size. For what I'm doing the 8x8 is larger than the 6x10. On a 6x10 I couldn't do a square design larger than 6". I'm good with the 8x8 size wise and don't envision out-growing it, and use a 5x5 almost half the time.

Screen size is my biggest gripe with lower priced machines- not enough. If you have some embroidery software to edit the designs, you can do it on your PC, laptop, etc, and screen size becomes less important.

Brands? I don't have any experiences with most brands, but listen to my friends who do. I won't buy any machine that is only available through servicing dealers. So, my brand of choice is Janome at the price points that are available on-line. I won't buy from a dealer, and it's not just about the money saving.

Leave a comment:

• Bernina2
    replied
    I’ve been embroidery on my Bernina
    since 1998. I use my 8 X 10 hoop
    to embroider quilt blocks. Sometimes
    I will use the 5 X 7 hoop for smaller
    designs. My suggestion would buy
    a machine you can embroider bigger than 4 X 4 designs. This small size will be very limiting.
    Enjoy and have fun with whatever machine you decide to buy.
    My vote is for a Bernina :-)

Leave a comment:

• redcaboose1717
    replied
    I thought I'd posted something about the Brother PE 770???
    I'm not positive, but I don't think you can purchase the PE 770 now. I think the PE 800 replaced the PE 770....(BTW, I just checked and I don't think you can buy the PE 770 any longer!)
    Here's a photo of the PE800
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-P...e937fdec5a6b5b

There's a gal who has an Embroidery Business that has a YouTube Channel. She's VERY open to discuss things about embroidery. Her first machine was a PE 800 and she does have a video about it. Her name is Angela Jasmina (that's her name and the name of her YT channel as well) Angela is VERY friendly as like I said, she's very willing to tell you anything you need or want to know about embroidery.
    Here's her You Tube Channel : (she talks about her embroidery machines and tells you the name of the first machine (Brother she purchased for her embroidery shop business.
    https://youtu.be/QDytZxWYLAQ
    She also has a FB group.
    However, I did join Angela Jasmina's FB Group a couple of days ago.
    Here's a video on how to embroider on a PE800 from start to finish:
    https://youtu.be/7eRG79c5QQo

Here's Angela's video telling about how to embroider a T-shirt....start to finish.
    I've NEVER seen a more detailed YouTube video on how to do machine embroidery.
    https://youtu.be/FnPiTQ1H1bs

I was shocked the first time I'd watched a video of this young lady. She is absolutely wonderful. I don't think I've seen any other videos where a You Tuber would tell you EVERYTHING she does, how to do embroidery on a home sewing machine.

Years ago, when I wanted to make a blog for my paper crafting business I NEVER did find anyone that would give me information on how to build my own blog. (I hired it done and after the blog was done by a blog designer, I taught myself how to make the headers from there.) even said "I'm not out to take anyone's business...I just need to know how to make a header for the blog. TBH, I did figure it out by myself, but it took some doing. Again, I'm absolutely amazed with a capital "A" at the friendliness of this young woman and the fact she shares every thing.....she even talked about her making mistakes as well.
    TN_girl-on-telephone-using-computer-14.jpg
    There are YouTube videos out there for the Brother PE 800 embroidery for a FIRST TIME machine embroiderer....(there's several)
    https://youtu.be/SmhT5ca1eE8

Here's a YT video on how to use the PE800 (the PE 800 is a embroidery machine ONLY)
    https://youtu.be/DfpJXuBeEPM

https://youtu.be/VIDMMy6_DYM
    https://youtu.be/RT4yuWLzyfg
    This is an UNBOXING video for the Brother PE 800
    https://youtu.be/QbnhOkd_lfE
    (hope this helps!! )
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; June 21, 2020, 06:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Trudy A
    replied
    Originally posted by KarenC View Post
    Congrats to you and Amanda! Ok the rest of your families too. So happy for you. It is an amazing relationship
    Unfortunately-she would very much like to be-she is not the one to be expecting. Our son and his wife are the blessed ones at this time.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied
    Congrats to you and Amanda! Ok the rest of your families too. So happy for you. It is an amazing relationship

Leave a comment:

• BethB
    replied
    I have a Baby Lock Ellageo Plus. It is 4-5 years old. I upgraded from a smaller machine because I needed a larger hoop and the screen was really small and black and white. The Ellageo has a much larger screen and it is color. The largest hoop is 6 x 10. I have been thinking about upgrading to a larger one because I would like a larger hoop - at least 7 x 12, but after just moving into a new house, I have to wait and see how the finances work out before I jump into a new machine. I feel 4 x 4 and 5 x 7 are really not adequate, 6 x 10 is a minimum hoop size in my opinion.

Nancy

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied
    I have both Janome and Brother embroidery machines. Forgive me for jumping in, but I wanted to talk about hoop sizes. The largest hoop for the Flourish II is 6x10. This is also the largest hoop that I have on my Brother machine. I actually find it quite adequate. I'd started embroidery on a Brother that only had a 4x4 hoop, and I outgrew that within a year. But the 6x10 that I have now really doesn't limit me much. Sure, Anita Goodesign offers amazing patterns that lend themselves to super large hoop sizes, but the "small" option is usually 5x7 or 6x10. So if your budget doesn't let you go above a 6x10, I think you'll be OK.

Let us know what you decide!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X