Embroidery machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embroidery machine

It looks like I may have a bit of extra $$$ in my sewing budget for this year-thanks to covid 19. I have been looking at an embroidery machine. I prefer to stick with BabyLock because I have a very good relationship with the local dealer and the service/maintenance guys are wonderful. I was looking at the Verve but now am leaning towards a Flourish II. Looking for some input from users, Any ideas from those with either of these or in general from you who are "into" embroidery. By the way my major reason for this is my new grandbaby coming (not soon enough).
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

I have one of the higher end Babylocks. I chose it because of the bigger hoop sizes. The two machines you are looking at are going to get boring really fast. There is a 0% financing going on this month. I'm not try to make you spend more money, but if you want a more useful machine, now is the time to do it. 😉

https://www.babylock.com/promotions/774
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

How fun for you! Can't help with any recommendations but I'm a Babylocker and own 3 but not an embroidery machine. I'm excited for you!
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi: I have the Flourish II. I'm still learning what I'm able to do on it. Yes, it can do a lot, BUT is limited by size. It was about all I could afford last year, so I figured it was a good learning machine and have enjoyed it so far. I actually was able to put a quilted design on my grandkids back pack that had a drop down flap. Used it to put designs on towels. Taking a class tomorrow to learn to do free-standing lace - pineapple design. I love Baby lock and my shop is there to help me when I need it. Have fun with whatever you decide.

Comment

Depending on your budget range, go for the one with the largest hoop. You will out-grow the 4x4 hoop fast. The larger hoop sizes allow you to move and position the design easier. There is more room in the embroidery field. I would want at least the 8x12 hoop size. You can stitch the 8x8 block designs with that hoop. If you get a machine with IQ designer, you can add your own stippling to the embroidery design.

Check with the dealer to see if there any machines on consignment or if someone has recently upgraded and has one for sale.

Look at the machines that are "embroidery only" and not the combo machines. I liked having machines with separate features, one for sewing and one set up for embroidery. I do have the combo unit now and it isn't difficult to switch out between sewing and embroidery.

Comparisons for you to consider when looking at machines. Look at the needle threading designs on different machines. I don't like the pull down threading . The push button threading is so nice. How do the machines compare with cutting jump stitches? What is the maximum size and stitch count of embroidery designs?

I think the time frame for new models is August for brother lines and about September for BL lines which follow brother. You may want to see what new ones are available then.

Another factor is the screen size. The small screen is difficult to see the design parts. The larger screens can magnify the designs.

Good luck deciding!

Comment

I have both Janome and Brother embroidery machines. Forgive me for jumping in, but I wanted to talk about hoop sizes. The largest hoop for the Flourish II is 6x10. This is also the largest hoop that I have on my Brother machine. I actually find it quite adequate. I'd started embroidery on a Brother that only had a 4x4 hoop, and I outgrew that within a year. But the 6x10 that I have now really doesn't limit me much. Sure, Anita Goodesign offers amazing patterns that lend themselves to super large hoop sizes, but the "small" option is usually 5x7 or 6x10. So if your budget doesn't let you go above a 6x10, I think you'll be OK.

Let us know what you decide!
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I have a Baby Lock Ellageo Plus. It is 4-5 years old. I upgraded from a smaller machine because I needed a larger hoop and the screen was really small and black and white. The Ellageo has a much larger screen and it is color. The largest hoop is 6 x 10. I have been thinking about upgrading to a larger one because I would like a larger hoop - at least 7 x 12, but after just moving into a new house, I have to wait and see how the finances work out before I jump into a new machine. I feel 4 x 4 and 5 x 7 are really not adequate, 6 x 10 is a minimum hoop size in my opinion.

Nancy

Comment

Congrats to you and Amanda! Ok the rest of your families too. So happy for you. It is an amazing relationship

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
                  Congrats to you and Amanda! Ok the rest of your families too. So happy for you. It is an amazing relationship
                  Unfortunately-she would very much like to be-she is not the one to be expecting. Our son and his wife are the blessed ones at this time.
                  One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

I thought I'd posted something about the Brother PE 770???
                    I'm not positive, but I don't think you can purchase the PE 770 now. I think the PE 800 replaced the PE 770....(BTW, I just checked and I don't think you can buy the PE 770 any longer!)
                    Here's a photo of the PE800
                    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-P...e937fdec5a6b5b

There's a gal who has an Embroidery Business that has a YouTube Channel. She's VERY open to discuss things about embroidery. Her first machine was a PE 800 and she does have a video about it. Her name is Angela Jasmina (that's her name and the name of her YT channel as well) Angela is VERY friendly as like I said, she's very willing to tell you anything you need or want to know about embroidery.
                    Here's her You Tube Channel : (she talks about her embroidery machines and tells you the name of the first machine (Brother she purchased for her embroidery shop business.
                    https://youtu.be/QDytZxWYLAQ
                    She also has a FB group.
                    However, I did join Angela Jasmina's FB Group a couple of days ago.
                    Here's a video on how to embroider on a PE800 from start to finish:
                    https://youtu.be/7eRG79c5QQo

Here's Angela's video telling about how to embroider a T-shirt....start to finish.
                    I've NEVER seen a more detailed YouTube video on how to do machine embroidery.
                    https://youtu.be/FnPiTQ1H1bs

I was shocked the first time I'd watched a video of this young lady. She is absolutely wonderful. I don't think I've seen any other videos where a You Tuber would tell you EVERYTHING she does, how to do embroidery on a home sewing machine.

Years ago, when I wanted to make a blog for my paper crafting business I NEVER did find anyone that would give me information on how to build my own blog. (I hired it done and after the blog was done by a blog designer, I taught myself how to make the headers from there.) even said "I'm not out to take anyone's business...I just need to know how to make a header for the blog. TBH, I did figure it out by myself, but it took some doing. Again, I'm absolutely amazed with a capital "A" at the friendliness of this young woman and the fact she shares every thing.....she even talked about her making mistakes as well.
                    TN_girl-on-telephone-using-computer-14.jpg
                    There are YouTube videos out there for the Brother PE 800 embroidery for a FIRST TIME machine embroiderer....(there's several)
                    https://youtu.be/SmhT5ca1eE8

Here's a YT video on how to use the PE800 (the PE 800 is a embroidery machine ONLY)
                    https://youtu.be/DfpJXuBeEPM

https://youtu.be/VIDMMy6_DYM
                    https://youtu.be/RT4yuWLzyfg
                    This is an UNBOXING video for the Brother PE 800
                    https://youtu.be/QbnhOkd_lfE
                    (hope this helps!! )
                    Last edited by redcaboose1717; June 21, 2020, 06:23 AM.
                    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I’ve been embroidery on my Bernina
                      since 1998. I use my 8 X 10 hoop
                      to embroider quilt blocks. Sometimes
                      I will use the 5 X 7 hoop for smaller
                      designs. My suggestion would buy
                      a machine you can embroider bigger than 4 X 4 designs. This small size will be very limiting.
                      Enjoy and have fun with whatever machine you decide to buy.
                      My vote is for a Bernina :-)

Comment

My experiences are fairly new, having only had mine for a short while, but I have these suggestions.

Combo machines are ok if you don't absolutely have room or budget for two machines, and only use it for embroidery.occasionally. Embroidery only machines offer you so much more versatility, and there isn't anything that's reported to be dual-purpose that does the best job of both
                        Naturally get as much hoop size as you can afford, but it helps to know what types of designs you'll be doing. I have 8x8 as the largest size. For what I'm doing the 8x8 is larger than the 6x10. On a 6x10 I couldn't do a square design larger than 6". I'm good with the 8x8 size wise and don't envision out-growing it, and use a 5x5 almost half the time.

Screen size is my biggest gripe with lower priced machines- not enough. If you have some embroidery software to edit the designs, you can do it on your PC, laptop, etc, and screen size becomes less important.

Brands? I don't have any experiences with most brands, but listen to my friends who do. I won't buy any machine that is only available through servicing dealers. So, my brand of choice is Janome at the price points that are available on-line. I won't buy from a dealer, and it's not just about the money saving.
                        You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

I purchased a Babylock Flourish II on December 31st. I love this machine and I’m an absolute beginner. My dealer offered free one on one classes plus they always have time to help me when I come in. Some other things to consider when purchasing an embroidery machine is you’ll have additional purchases to make - thread, a variety of stabilizers, bobbins. Then you’ll find ALL these wonderful sites selling embroidery designs and then someone mentions that if you had embroidery software you can really manipulate those designs and on it goes. . Anyway it is a lot of FUN ... just build those extra purchases into your budget so you can have the most enjoyment!
                          Life ain’t always beautiful
                          But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

Yeah Sherrie- the investment in necessities is fun, even though we'd rather not spend more than necessary. I take other's experiences in mind when shopping, but for the most part would rather do the tests and make selections on what works for me, with the intention on having what I need, so selections are kept to the minimum, but always have supply.

I'm what you'd call a thrifty thread snob, so testing the different threads is a lot of fun. I've bought both cheap and expensive.
                            those touting the benefits of expensive threads can afford it better than I. I'm developing a feel for what I like, and right now the lower cost thread is winning. Stabilizers is not so exciting but I think I can narrow it down to four of five types in the end..

Dsigns for sale? The collections are mind boggling. I have a couple places that provide designs that fit my needs better than others. This new experience is way too much fun!
                            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

I have the Flourish - not the II though, and I absolutely love mine. I've never needed a hoop bigger than a 6x10 but then I tend to like smaller projects. I did invest in a 4x4 hoop so that I wasn't wasting stabilizer for the smaller things.

Comment

Working...
                              X