Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with footrest for quilting space/ergonomics

Hi all,

My quilting space is my dining room table. I am working to set this area up to be as ergonomically pleasing as possible. I am working on the Bernina 790. I have the SewSteady acrylic 24” x 32” table. I’m 5’4”... so that’s an additional factor.

After trying various chairs/stools from around the house this week, I realized none were a good match. I’ve ordered a drafting stool with adjustable height and adjustable arm height (at Wayfair.com - who even knew they had office furniture? 🧐) which will arrive today.

The final piece to the puzzle is where to place my foot pedal. With the correct height stool, my legs no longer reach to the floor and the foot pedal. My initial thought was to order an office foot rest (like you’d see under a desk). However, all the ones that I’ve seen have a tilt/rocking mechanism, which I don’t think would work to keep the foot pedal steady.

So, I’m hoping someone out there has had the same issue and can share a great solution for how to position the foot pedal.

Thanks for reading.😷 🧵

In her book "Free-Motion Quilting for Beginners and those who think they can't," Molly Hanson addresses this. First, adjust your chair height so that when your forearms and palms are flat on your sewing surface, your elbows should be at a perfect 90 degree angle. Molly recommends hardcover coffee-table books to elevate your pedal. Make sure to use a large book so that there is room for your heel to rest, too. Experiment by stacking several books until you find the perfect height. Measure this height. If you are handy with woodworking tools (or know someone who is), I would build a box to that height. To avoid fatigue, the box should be large enough to accommodate the foot pedal and both your feet.
    Last edited by MSN; June 12, 2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Such a coincidence that I just watched this studio tour today. You can get some ideas here for the footrest. It would be easy to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxXg_AiASc

Comment

Perhaps you could experiment using cardboard boxes of varying heights until you find the perfect size then get a carpenter to make a wooden one or do it yourself if you are handy. A piece of carpet or that waffle shelf liner on the top to keep the foot pedal from slipping.

Comment

I needed on for the office, we bought a $5 stool at Walmart the fold flat. You'd have to know the height you need.

Comment

Working...
          X