A lot of fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of fabric

I just finished doing Cherry Lemonade Garden Twist pattern and I truely love it. I ordered material according to the instructions and boy did I have a lot left over. I cannot believe they recommended the amount they did. Is this usual to recommend more that is actually necessary for a pattern?

Cozy Quilt recently said on one of their videos that they add 5% to the yardage figures just to compensate for bad cuts.

Comment

Better to have too much than not enough.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

It would be nice if a pattern would put a note that they have added extra fabric requirements for mis-cuts. I sometimes add a bit extra to allow for this but if it is already worked in I would not.
        One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

I think most patterns allow for some mistakes and shrinkage if you prewash, but if you had a lot left over then there might have been an error in the instructions. I agree they should be a bit generous in their material amounts but you should not end up with excessive amounts of fabric either.
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Use it to make a pieced backing.

Comment

Howard always liked a long drop on the quilts for our bed. I always ended having to buy more of something for the borders.
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by sydneybean View Post
                Use it to make a pieced backing.
                I like that idea-I'll have to check that out.

Comment

How about some matching pillows?

Comment

• JCY
                    JCY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Donna Jordan has a great tutorial on how to make a pillow cover. Hers was 16" square.

I would rather they do that if they do not include a cutting diagram for pieces. it does make a difference and one can run short if things are not cut efficiently.

Comment

That has happened to me, as well. I sometimes just make a 2nd quilt, different pattern, with the leftovers for donation... Plus, we can always use blenders in our stash...at least for me this is true.
                    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Or you could make pillows or shams depending on how much you have

Comment

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I measured my extra material and it is about 2 years but the backing needs to be about 4 yards. While it will only be a lap size quilt I think I may just make some pilliows-not necessarily for a bed but maybe to put on a couch. I need to think about this.

Comment

Working...
                        X