Gypsy Wife pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gypsy Wife pattern

I’m interested in hearing from anyone who has tackled the Gypsy Wife pattern, e.g.,
    https://www.fatquartershop.com/gypsy...attern-booklet
    • Skills required? (Besides patience)
    • Time it took you
    • other recommendations, notions, books, approach, schedule recommendations
    thanks
    Donna

Donna, that's a beautiful quilt. I'd never heard of it before. Good luck with it!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I'm in the middle of a GW quilt. I was taking a monthly class at my LQS until the pandemic shut everything down. Our instructor made her first one with the Jen Kingwell booklet and was very frustrated because the book isn't well written, the directions aren't clear and a lot is left up to the quilter to figure out. But she loved the design and wanted to make another so decided to teach a class. We're not using the JK booklet but loosely following the design. Each month our instructor gives us a new section with the block sizes, strip sizes and several block designs to choose from. We can use her suggestions or substitute our own, so the whole thing is totally improv and no 2 quilts look at all alike. I love the process but several of my classmates did not and dropped out. At one point I thought it might be helpful to buy the book but after reading the reviews on Amazon I decided it wasn't worth it.
      Skills: a beginner would probably be frustrated and overwhelmed due to the improv part and sheer size. Otherwise the blocks aren't difficult. It takes considerable patience. With so many pieces, even if you are a precise piecer, things are not always going to fit...you have to be ok with winging it: adding an extra border on a block, adding an extra strip, trimming blocks etc. to make things fit. The quilt is so busy, no one would even notice.
      Time: I like the fact that it's a long term project that I can work on intermittently. Our class was supposed to run 12 months. What takes the most time is figuring out which fabrics to use where.
      Recommendations: absent finding a class or blog sew-along, use the book as a starting point but you'd have to figure out a lot on your own. You have to be careful because there are errors with block sizes and seam allowances. We approach it in sections of about 12" wide and 36" long, working from the bottom left of the quilt and building from there. Each section includes the blocks and strips. The instructor said for her first quilt, she made all the blocks first, then tried to set them into the strips and it was disastrous. For notions, I'd highly recommend an interfacing under your strips to keep them from getting wonky. We use Bosal Create a Pattern. You cut a big piece and sew your strips onto it. Rulers help, especially Deb Tucker's wing clipper, the pineapple trim tool, your favorite ruler to trim HSTs, an add-a-quarter ruler for paper-pieced blocks (or skip the paper pieced ones and substitute something else). Get a good seam ripper, you'll use it a lot. I started with yardage for strips, a layer cake and few fat quarters.
      Hope this helped. If you go for it, I'd be happy to help in any way because I'm still at it.
      Attached Files
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Chelea - thank you SO much for taking the time to provide your experience and recommendations. And your quilt looks beautiful! I am so glad to learn of the issues with the book and I will probably pause and hold until I can find a class. Although I consider myself intermediate, improv is not my 'strong suit'. This is now on my bucket list and I hope you will share your finished product. Meantime I will watch for a class and work on psyching myself up for 'winging it'. :-)
        Thanks again for this review. Very, very helpful.

Comment

I have never seen that pattern. This one is not my cup of tea, so I wouldn't be interested in that particular pattern. It looks like a lot of work, & certainly is beyond beginner's level.

Comment

I've made a wing it quilt from a book. Nope! Too much invested. I do love your quilt, different and bright. I'm usually a tradionslist. Thanks for the outlook, I have looked at that pattern and wondered.

Comment

I have know several people in my guild that have made it, however they pretty much do all of Jen Kingwell's quilts and one of the guild members teaches it as a class at the LQS after she made it first. I bought the pattern book for my small world, but have yet to build up enough confidence to try it.

Comment

Working...
              X