Long Arm Quilting Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Arm Quilting Machines

Hi: I have been dreaming of getting my own LAQ machine for a long time - but the cost -- UGH. Well, I recently looked at a Janome Quiltmaker '18 and the cost is more doable - (minus the computer) -- Does anyone use this model? Or know of anyone who does. I have also looked at the Juki LAQ machines 18" but this model does not have the stitch regulator. Any one have this one? Any info greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My LA is the Baby Lock Tiara II. I did not buy the stitch regulator because I'd already been FMQ on my DSM. If you're familiar with FMQ, you don't need the stitch regulator. You can view pics of my LA (table model) in my sewing room album.

Comment

I was on a strict budget and so I went basic. I have a baileys home quilter on a sit down table. I've found I'm not a fan of sit down, I hate basting. I still do it, but can't wait to upgrade. As soon as we move into a bigger place I'm getting a stand up frame!

Comment

Thank you both. The models I'm looking at are the stand up type. I have a Tin Lizzie sit down - and like on my DMS, I am having a problem with FMQ. I just can't seem to get the stitches right. Some days no problem, others bad. thank you again for your responses - time will tell

Comment

Get as much as you can. You may like the stitch regulator. If you don't need it after awhile, that's OK. My longarm has the computer. I started out with a Bailey long time ago and just never could get the hang of FMQ. So when I retired from my job I gifted myself with a 30" Gammill with Statler Stitcher. Maybe with places opening up for business again you'll be able to try out some machines. Good luck!

~ Carol
          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I have a sit-down HQ Sweet 16. My husband and I both quilt and we like it. I also rent the HQ Amara from LQS.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I have the Babylock Tiara, (sit down), and couldn't do without the stitch regulator. While I have been happy to not have to do cx quilting on my domestic, I cannot wait to upgrade to a stand-up true LA! (Will be my retirement gift to my self in 63 weeks & 3 days, but whose counting!). I equate my Tiara to moving paper(the quilt) instead of the pen, and a true LA to moving the pen across the paper (quilt). I have taken several LA classes in prep for updrading and my brain needs to move the pen not the paper!

Comment

I love my stitch regulator. I have the Babylock Crown Jewel. No computer. The computer cost almost as much as the longarm with frame! But I have heard that the Handiquilter is more affordable so you may want to take one of them for a test drive. When I bought my Babylock, they gave me a 5 year interest free loan. What I really love is the customer service. They are much nicer to work with than the local Handiquilter dealer.

The main reason I love my stitch regulator is if I have to rip out stitches it's a lot easier if they are not all scrunched together.

Also, you can asked for gently used trade-ins. You might get more bang for your dollars!

Vonnie

Comment

Good Morning: again. Thank you. I went to look at another machine yesterday (Juki QVP 350). Both machines come in about the same price ($10,000) It's a lot of money and can't really go above that price limit. I "test-drove" an APQS at a quilt show (before all this virus stuff started) but price a lot more than I can handle. OH, now I am really confused. But one thing, I am not jumping in until I know for sure. Thank you all. Hope everyone has a great day.

Comment

APQS has end of show season sales and also used machines sales. I got an APQS Lenni on a 12 ft frame for $7000.
                    Susan Davis
                    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Comment

I think a lot of the LA makers are offering show specials right now.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilady View Post
                        APQS has end of show season sales and also used machines sales. I got an APQS Lenni on a 12 ft frame for $7000.
                        Wow! How is their customer service?
                        Vonnie

Comment

Equilady - did you get your machine directly from APQS? I get e-mails with end of season/floor models - but they are usually over the $ 10,000. Made an appt to "test drive" the Janome quiltmaker pro 18 - will see how it goes.

Comment

Re: comments regarding APQS machines. I was looking for a sit down machine so I purchased their "George" model recently. I love this machine and have been happy with their service. They are currently starting up their road shows recently and I know they have always have road show specials. They also periodically have sales on demo machines. These are ones that were used at road shows. They are perfectly gone through and come with their lifetime warranty. They are made in the USA. I liked that and the fact that all their machines have lifetime warranties. They have a range of sizes and prices. I believe the Lenny is basically the same model as the George but on a long arm frame. They would be worth checking out. If you look on their website you can search for retailers near you. Here is a link on their current demo machines. https://www.apqs.com/demo-sale/

Comment

Thank you! Well, had an appt this morning with a shop and got to play with the Janome Quiltmaker Pro 18 - made my husband give it a try also. Price was in my range - and will be delivered next Thursday. He also threw in a $ 100 gift card to his shop for supplies, and a roll of batting. I see lots of playing in my future.

Comment

Working...
                              X