knitting yarn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knitting yarn

does MS sell any yarn for tying quilts? I"ve not found any. can't get out anywhere either. just wondering what is a good brand i can find. trying for variegated purple.

Last time I tied a quilt I used Crochet yarn, not sure the weight. I had it from making ruffles on socks for my daughter. Its thin and soft. It's been on a much loved quilt and held up no issues for the past 7 years. Hope that helps.

Comment

When I have tied quilts with my church group, we always use crochet thread or pearl cotton. I do see that M* has pearl cotton.

Comment

I"ve not done this often. once tied a king size with embroidery thread but it kept coming untied. changed it to yarn. worked fine. That was years ago. i did buy some cheap yarn at Walmart and that looked terrible after washing so i put the quilt in charity items I had. right now still trying to find out where my 5/7 order with another company is. what a mess things are right now. can't even use the tracking number now. anyway, thanks for the info.

Comment

I've tied many quilts some with yarn and some with embroidery floss. Lion Brand yarn is nice and has many colors. I use floss most of the time now and I tie it with a double twist, two times around before you pull it tight on the first step and then once around on the second step, it never comes out.
          Chris :icon_wave:

"What I lack in leadership, I more than make up for in sewing." Sheldon Cooper, PhD.

Comment

thanks for the info. I need all the help i can get. The quilt i want to tie is large and the one I am doing now is in sections. too large is difficult for me so may have to tie the one waiting.

Comment

Last time I was back there, they did have a shop where they carried wools and yarns. I have not tied a quilt for years, but when I did, I used DMC embroidery floss and that worked well.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

how many strands of embroidery floss would you use? I don't remember when i did it.

Comment

• bubba
                  bubba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I used three. They come in six strands, so I would use half of it.

sounds good. thanks again. just ordered some. purple of course.
                Last edited by nativetexan; June 1, 2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X