Lori Holt fabric boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lori Holt fabric boards

I'm amazed I've never seen these before. So easy to make. Has anyone made any? I do lots of applique and always struggle with going from the ironing board to the machine, as well as blocks. Just waiting to go to walmart to get foam boards, I have the rest.

Yes, I've made them after I bought the first one. I do a lot of applique, too...they work great! However, I use them mostly for block piece layout. I made them in different sizes. I really appreciated her teaching DIY...they are costly to buy.
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I did a diy hack and am very happy: 15 inch square, 1 inch thick styrofoam pieces that speakers came packed in. I covered them in batting leftovers. Yeehaw!
      Diana Grey

Comment

I made my own boards. I cut out cardboard & covered it with flannel. I made the cardboard 2 thicknesses, taped the edges with clear packaging tape. I enveloped the flannel, tucked under the edges & secured them with straight pins so I can remove the flannel for washing. I have 9", 12", & 17". They work great for moving block pieces from my layout (on the floor) to the ironing board & sewing mach.

Comment

I made ssome of these when I was doing the Farmhouse Vintage blocks - nice for keeping track of all those little pieces. I have two small ones for the 6" blocks, and a larger one for 12" ones. I use them quite often when I have pieces to keep organized, and they are a great way to transport from one place to another. I also made one with sandpaper on the back - perfect for tracing templates for applique.
          sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Thanks all! I bought some foam core from dollar general tonight. I hope this thread helps other who hadn't heard of this like me. I applique a lot! Plus block layout from cutting table to sewing machine. Love this idea!

Comment

I had two 8 1/2" x 11" pieces of foam core so I made two of them. They're very handy for both applique and piecing. I followed Lori Holts' instructions from a Fat Quarter Shop youtube video.
              Maria

Comment

I made some too. I used foam core boards from the dollar store, mine are 15 inch square and just love them. I too followed the you tube video from the Fat Quarter Shop. I just used batting scraps on mine and leftover 2 1/2 strips. They are perfect for laying out blocks to take to the machine. they are perfect for One Block wonder hexagons after you decide which layout you like. Super cheap when you make them yourself.

Comment

The one I made is just cardboard covered with flannel. I set it on a plate stand/easel by my machine where I can see the arranged block pieces while sewing them together. Sometimes I put a completed block there to see the arrangement as I make the other blocks.
                  ~ Carol from PA
                  As long as we have kitties, we will all be OK

Comment

I made mine from the corrugated plastic like political signs are made of. I cut my batting and then sewed around the edges with my sewing machine with a large stitch length. No glue and I didn't finish the edges. Not as pretty as hers but just as handy . Here is what I followed http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/?p=652

Comment

Originally posted by sydneybean View Post
                      I made mine from the corrugated plastic like political signs are made of. I cut my batting and then sewed around the edges with my sewing machine with a large stitch length. No glue and I didn't finish the edges. Not as pretty as hers but just as handy . Here is what I followed http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/?p=652
                      I have made several fabric boards in various sizes over the years but have never used this method. I will definitely give this a try when I need to make another board.
                      Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Originally posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
                        Thanks all! I bought some foam core from dollar general tonight. I hope this thread helps other who hadn't heard of this like me. I applique a lot! Plus block layout from cutting table to sewing machine. Love this idea!
                        Mom, do you do your applique by hand or machine? Would love to know what techniques other quilters like to use.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                          Momofmonsters5 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do machine. I was never taught hand applique. I've tried it and don't like my stitches.

I have made several of these and use them a lot but my favorite similar thing is made like a book. It is two pieces of cardboard about 15" square covered with print fabric on the outside and plain flannel on the inside with fabric handles and a button/hair elastic closure. I can lay out a big quilt block [or a stack of them] on it and close it then carry my blocks to retreat or wherever. A friend 😘made it for me and it has been used a lot.

Comment

Happened upon this new tutorial from Lori Holt on making portable ironing boards. While we're making/crafting, this seems like a really good idea. Would be a good idea to use our wool pressing mats instead of the batting.

Comment

Working...
                          X