Are you entering your State Fair this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you entering your State Fair this year

I want to enter a quilt in the fair this year. Application deadline is June 6 and quilts are to be brought in the week of July 4th. Our state fair (Wis) is usually Aug 10-17. No decision has been made on if it will be canceled. My guess is that decision might not come down until July, after the drop off date. I have tried calling the fair office to find out if quilt entries are still going to be accepted this year but no one answers the phone and there is no VM option. What do you think? My quilt is finished except for adding a sleeve and label.

Edit: The application form was available on their website in January, just the blank form and rules in pdf so the fact that the application is there doesn't necessarily mean it's a sure thing.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; May 24, 2020, 06:32 PM.

I entered the county fair, but it was canceled. They refunded my entrance fee (I would have been happy to donate it). My local county fair accepts entrances made in the past 2 years, so I hope to enter the same quilt next year.

Comment

Our county dropped hand made items several years ago. I think they only have vegetables and Bonsai, maybe orchids. Our fair s*cks.
      "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

I have never entered a quilt to even the local county fair, let alone a state fair. I don't think anyone knows yet if either will be held this year. Our co. fair is ~ Aug. 1 time frame. Our guild's annual show is mid-Oct. There is so much uncertainty because of the pandemic.

Comment

Our state fair was scheduled for Aug 26th though Sept 6, just cancelled this past week.
          Carlie

Comment

Jocelyn, I would think that the WI state fair will have to make a decision very soon whether or not to hold the fair this year. This is the time where they are committing to contracts with vendors, ordering food, etc. If you want to enter your quilt, go for it. If they do end up cancelling the state fair, they should refund any fees you might have paid. In Minnesota, we can enter items completed in the past three years, but they must be in "new" condition. So the quilt you want to enter could be entered next year, but it couldn't really be used or loved until after it is exhibited.

I have been to the WI state fair a couple of times. OMG, those cream puffs! I'm drooling just thinking about them.

I have entered the county fair every year since 1980, and the state fair many of those years as well. I have been fortunate enough to win at least one ribbon every year. Now that the state fair has been cancelled (and I expect my county fair will be as well), I guess my streak will come to an end. 😞 On the positive side, I won't have the usual push to get items ready for entry, and no marathon baking sessions.

Comment

I would look up their venue. I only say that because lots of venues do not have clearances to have crowds. That industry is hurting. Look at your states timeline for openings too. See if those venues are on any schedules? That's what I would do.

Comment

EVERYTHING is cancelled here, and I mean everything.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Kutztown, Pa Festival will be virtual this year. Quilts will be auctioned on-line. https://www.kutztownfestival.com/
                  They have announced their dates for 2021.
                  “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                  “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Fair (in August) will be cancelled.
                    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Our state fair was canceled this year but a couple of the county fairs haven't made a decision yet. I think they are hoping the governor will lift some of the crowd restrictions.

Comment

Our state fair has also been cancelled, but I stopped entering quilts a couple years ago when I realized the same person wins 1st and/or 2nd place in nearly every category every year.
                        Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Our local fair here in TN has already been cancelled. And to think, I would have had something to enter this year. Oh, well. Time to work on one for next year.

Comment

[QUOTE=JulieC;n1912288]Our state fair was canceled this year but a couple of the county fairs haven't made a decision yet. I think they are hoping the governor will lift some of the crowd restrictions. [/QUOT

Our state fairs haven't been canceled as of yet. Our county fair , which is held later in July and is small in comparison to some, has so many restrictions that I think it will be canceled. I'm in Illinois. No liquor license, few food stands, lots of hand washing stations, no rides, no picnic tables, no company stands in the commercial building, etc. Why would you want to go out to the fair and eat but not have a table to sit at? I am a Superintendent in the Fine Arts building. It is always crowded on entry day. I'm sure there would be restrictions there and would take twice as long for entries. Or I'm sure everyone would just say it wasn't worth it and not take any entries out there.

Comment

Update: they cancelled the fair today and everything that goes with it including all competitions, animal showings, etc. I feel so bad for all the 4Hers who so looked forward to this all year and worked so hard. But I am afraid the quilt competition will be fierce next year since everyone will have an extra year to work on projects!

Comment

• sydneybean
                                sydneybean commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ours did the same. So sad. I love the fair and that hectic week. I am a Superintendent of the Fine Arts Dept. taking in quilts, crochet items, etc. I will miss it. The poor kiddos in 4-H. My great niece was going to be in the Little Miss contest this year. She will be so disappointed.
                            Working...
                            X