Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out this VERY clever face mask

You might be tired of making them, but this is just too clever not to post

https://babylock.com/learn-and-creat...MxTkRKbSIsInQi OiJkR3grUWxJQ2lOZzJYdkh5bDZMcGJyQndwd2tTZGhPU2RXT2 hYRFlvKzFKZEVNOUNJRUZpVlVsUFdBTm1wcVJ2ZFU2SkJmUm5y U2UwYzQwWDFjQUFZb3c3Y0R4UFNhM3NZUzBTaGlpaldidTRcL0 trUWtldGRhWURvXC9QNFE3amFpIn0%3D
    Facemask_Headband.jpg
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

That's clever. I wonder if you could use jersey knit ribbing for the headbands.

I saw on FB where someone inserted a tiny rubber band into 4-hole buttons so they could be slipped over the arms of eye glasses and then hang the mask elastic onto them instead of over the ears. Of course the problem would be finding the tiny rubber bands, not to mention the buttons!

Comment

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that would bend the glasses all out of shape. I don't think I'd want to take the chance!

• MSN
      MSN commented
      Editing a comment
      Not to mention trying to thread that tiny rubber band through the tiny button holes.

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd never get the rubber band thru the buttonholes! I can hardly thread a needle!

I saw today that FQS has a set of acrylic templates (S,M,L) for making the contoured masks, price about $22 (set of 3)--and they are on back order already! Didn't take long for somebody to figure out how to make money on this.

Comment

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      Martelli also sells them, and I'm pretty sure they are not that expensive.

• K. McEuen
      K. McEuen commented
      Editing a comment
      Tops and Bobbins quilt shop has been giving away acrylic templates for the Olson mask. I don't know if they still are or not.

The masks are very similar to the new ones I have been making. One LQS -- need to remember which -- had their model, but someone improved it and made it in 8 different sizes. You measure from bridge of nose to below chin to pick correct size. Personally I would do small for kids, med for women and large for men.

I have been making the ear savers, and had thought of head bands, but they cant be found for love or money anywhere. I might have to dig further into my fabric scraps for jersey fabric. Not sure I still have any. Great idea.

I have made a few of those <bra> masks and added a lining of polypropylene. It makes it crispy and washes ok.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I work in a hospital where we are required to wear surgical masks and face shields all day. Some employees are complaining that the elastic loops are causing discomfort. The hospital received a donation of a bunch of 3D printed ear savers, which I see a lot of people using. They are similar to these:
      https://www.industryweek.com/technol...ntline-workers

Rather than sewing buttons onto scrub caps or a headband, perhaps you could sew buttons onto either end of a short strap.

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        That made me smile. People can be so great at inventing and giving.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        I have made what I call ear savers. A double lined piece of fabric with large buttons on each end. They work well.

I did pick up some of those 3D printed ear savers from a neighbour who made 200 of them and offered them to neighbours to pass along. They were ok, but the plastic is hard and not that comfortable. Those with long hair, it tangled, causing them to fiddle more with mask. For some, they work.

• MSN
        MSN commented
        Editing a comment
        Suzanne, I think your fabric ear savers sound way more comfortable than the plastic ones! I know that many folks have sewn buttons onto scrub caps, but I think I would overheat if I had to wear a scrub cap all day in addition to my mask and face shield.

Oh women in particular should love that one! no sore ears!!

Comment

These face masks look good. I have not tried it yet. I use KN95 Face Masks.

Comment

Thank you Hulamoon !! . I have real sensitive skin and any irritation around my ears causes psoriasis to appear, so these really appeal to me, even the throw away ones bother me. I am going to try making one. I have made the elastic simple ones and getting the elastic to the right size for all the people with different size faces has been my challenge. I am making the ones that have a tie at the top and bottom and have made a ton of those for family and friends.

Has anyone found anything that is comfortable to wear ? I am thinking of the grand kids . So far they have not been out and had the need for one, but you never know when they might have to go out. I think my granddaughter would fuss but wear one but I can't imagine my 7 year old grandson wearing one for any length of time. I made him a bat man mask just to play and get used to wearing and that lasted about 5 minutes.
          Last edited by TMP; May 21st, 2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Hulamoon
            Hulamoon commented
            Editing a comment
            My Dh had really bad bouts with that, so I know what you mean. Someone posted this one and to me it seems like it would be the easiest to make and wear. I would make it even smaller so it's not down on your neck. My dd gave me the 'muzzle'' lol style, but I would wear this one if I was to make another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_N...EvuQ5kDg_Ijaus
        Working...
        X