Search help shopping for fabric online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search help shopping for fabric online

This has been bugging me for awhile. I hate batiks. If I am shopping for fabric how can I filter out something. For ex if I put in a search for "charm packs no batiks" I wind up getting only batiks! I don't want to scroll through pages and pages of stuff I would never buy. Am I phrasing my search wrong or something?

If I'm looking for 'Charm Pack' I put that in google and then click on images. You can hover. over it to see where it came from ie.. Etsy, M*, Fabric.com etc. Also another trick is to put a minus sign -batik. I use that on Amazon and Etsy sometimes.

For instance I was shopping for fabric on Etsy yesterday and every page is filled with masks and elastic. So try that out. Etsty write in charm packs -batik -elastic.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have just pm'd you, I knew you would know! Thx

If you go to Etsy make sure you put in charm pack fabric. Or you get a bunch of charms. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Lorie! It didn't work! I tried FQS, M and Etsy using that minus sign thing and they all came back showing only batiks

Comment

It worked for me. Are you putting in commas?
        https://www.etsy.com/search?q=charm%...tik%20-elastic
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope no commas. Weird. I used your link on etsy and it worked and then when I went back into etsy and typed "charm pack fabric squares-batiks"all that came up was batiks. Thanks for trying to help. This is not a First World Problem, as my kids would put it.

It looks like you don't have a space between squares and batiks. The minus sign is attached to the word you don't want the search engine to look for. Clear as mud?

Comment

That is probably it. charm pack fabric squares-batik brought up this: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=charm%...squares-batiks

Etsy is really word sensitive. You can drop squares too, it brings up less packs. See the sea of masks? everyone learned how to sew and sell real fast. lol
          Last edited by Hulamoon; May 12, 2020, 07:46 AM.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

jj- your search phrasing ("charm pack fabric squares-batiks") would return all batiks. That's essentially what you asked for. Leave off "batiks" will get you closer to where you want to be.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Originally posted by clwetzel View Post
              It looks like you don't have a space between squares and batiks. The minus sign is attached to the word you don't want the search engine to look for. Clear as mud?
              That's what I do for pinterest - can't bear looking through all those unconnected links. Someone once told me to put " " at beginning and end of the main search word which sometimes works.

Comment

Leave the word batik out of your search all together.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

• jjkaiser
                  jjkaiser commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That puts me back where I started, seeing everything. I was trying to find a way to avoid this but I don't think that is happening.

I'm going to check with DS. He is always doing something with dots and quotes to get what he wants. I'll ask. I usually just stumble through it.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Why is it working for me? I'm still using Explorer. Could it be the browser?
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                  X