Advice on upgrading my machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on upgrading my machine?

I am looking to upgrade my current machine, which is a Brother Designio. I am really not impressed with Brother, and also think I need to go up a level from what I have. I have done a dozen or so quilts and some purses and totes over the last couple years, and the machine has been skipping stitches and giving me grief in general (yes, even with new needles) for a while now. Oh, and I had to replace the foot pedal a couple months ago. I am over it.
    I need a machine that I can do free-motion quilting on, but I like at least a few fancy stitches for totes and purses. I would also like one that is tough enough to sew through a few layers of canvas, which my machine simply refuses to do.
    I would really appreciate some insight and opinions!

One machine I thought I would never own is a Bernina. I now own a 350 for my class machine and recently, I got a 790plus. While sewing on the 350 really wasn't much different than any other machine I have owned, the 790plus is a dream come true! I am so glad I did it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

After going through several brands including Babylock, I have my favorite by far, a Pfaff. It has the walking foot built in. I loved my Viking too. I brought her out the other day and she looks brand new at 20 yrs. It did the best applique. When this calms down she is going in for a spa day. lol
      "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
        One machine I thought I would never own is a Bernina. I now own a 350 for my class machine and recently, I got a 790plus. While sewing on the 350 really wasn't much different than any other machine I have owned, the 790plus is a dream come true! I am so glad I did it.
        I love my Berninas, too, but they are not cheap. They make a special presser foot for everything, but oh, my, are those accessories expensive! Fantastic quality, and gives the perfect stitch no matter what I have tried. My local dealer had a great deal last year on a lower-end Bernina that included the walking foot. If I hadn't already purchased the walking foot, I would have been tempted by the offer. I ended up purchasing the 425, mostly because it uses the same bobbins as my 790. I use the knee lift (Hands Free System) from the 790 on the 425.

Amanda, I'm not sure what your budget is. My best advice is to find a knowledgeable local shop that does their own repairs and maintenance. You will probably have to wait until the shopping restrictions are lifted. Tell them your requirements and your price range, then test drive a variety of machines. And welcome to the Forum!

Comment

I love my Bernina too. I have a 180. Love it!! Sews like butter. I do have brothers and they are workhorses. When looking to truly upgrade Bernina is your girl!

Comment

I upgraded from a brother to a baby lock and I’m happy with it. It goes through multiple layers like butter.

Jeannette

Comment

I have a Viking Sapphire 930 which I've had about 5+ years and I love it!. It sews through multiple layers of fabric, has a lot of decorative stitches, thread cutter, stop/start button, low bobbin warning (a definite plus in my book!), needle threader, auto tension (but very easy to change tension, foot pressure, etc in Settings), needle up/down, a 10" throat space. I have done FMQ on it, as well as piecing, sewing tougher fabrics such as canvas, etc. It is very user friendly and easy to take apart and clean after projects. I have had Vikings for years and have always had good luck.

Comment

• Quilter74
                Quilter74 commented
                Editing a comment
                I also have Viking. Two actually, and they are both 16 years old and still going strong. I dread the day when I have to go shopping for a new machine!

Thanks for all of the input! I would absolutely love to get a BERNINA but I just don’t know if I can swing it. I am in Montana, so my options are limited as far as dealers, but I think you’re right when you say it would be a good idea to go in and talk to someone. I may have to travel a bit to do it is all 😁
              You guys have given me a great jumping off point and I have been looking at each machine you listed. Thank you again!

Comment

I just purchased an Eversewn but it's due to arrive this week. I'm hoping it will sew smoother then what I currently have. Not sure how it will do with free motion quilting but then I didn't get it for that. I have a long arm. They are almost impossible to find at the moment. Jennie sells them too. They do have a model that they say is good for free motion quilters but it is higher in price that what I can afford right now. I got the 20-80 model so it does have some of the decorative stitches. 80 is enough for me as I don't use them that much. I spent around 300 dollars for it. It has the start stop, threader, needle up/down. I purchased a machine with start/stop a few years ago and I never want to go back to using a foot peddle again. I really toyed with getting a mechanical machine but they don't have the start/stop feature. I also discovered that I do not like my machine that has the push in table (forget what you call them). Mine never really stayed in place and that is so annoying and hard on my fingers as I have to keep pushing it back in. The 20/80 didn't have that feature so it was fine with me LOL. I'll let people here know how I like it. It seemed to get very good reviews.
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

If I were in the market for a new machine, I would seriously look at the Juki HZL-NX7. I have been lusting after that one for months now.

Comment

Haha! I have been lusting after a few different machines...they seem to disappear quickly at the moment. I'm not sure if people are taking up sewing while they are at home practicing social distancing or what!
                    (now I have some MORE machines to lust after!) It's great to hear what people are sewing on and what they like about the different machines-there are so many choices!

Comment

I am a Janome girl. While I have owned a Bernina and a Pfaff my Janome is by far my favorite. Mine is a 6600P, I also have a 3160DC. That one is smaller and I take that to retreats and classes. While Berninas are lovely you get a lot more bang for your buck with Janome.

Comment

• Amanda M
                        Amanda M commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You know, the Janome 6650 is one that I was initially looking at...first I looked at the Janome Skyline S3, but that seems to have disappeared completely! I have never sewed with a Janome, but recognize them to be quality (and more affordable than a Bernina)

• MAMSAN
                        MAMSAN commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a 6600P also. It's almost 11yrs old. I sew every day. It sews everything from chiffon to canvas. Great machine.

I haven't bought a new DSM for several years. Both of my former purchases were Vikings. My current DSM is a Viking Opal 670. However, my LQS quit selling both Viking & Pfaff due to difficulty obtaining parts. Apparently the new machines are not made as well as they used to be some years ago. The store sells only Baby Lock now, unless they have a machine come in on trade. I have no experience with other brands. My previous elec. DSM was a Singer that had the changeable disks for the decorative stitches. It was not computerized.

I would suggest watching videos on YT to view the various features of machines. Read reviews. Do the research on line. How far away is your closest store where you would be able to get repair/service on a machine?

Comment

this lady seams to love her Janome.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
                        I am a Janome girl. While I have owned a Bernina and a Pfaff my Janome is by far my favorite. Mine is a 6600P, I also have a 3160DC. That one is smaller and I take that to retreats and classes. While Berninas are lovely you get a lot more bang for your buck with Janome.
                        This is the machine I have and I absolutely love it. Bought it after a woman who had a quilt shop and ran frequent classes recommended it. I am lucky to have a great dealer less than an hour away. Had it for 7 years-sew just about every day and just about anything. Probably has more decorative stitches than you will use though. I think Janome is a great value.

Comment

• quiltingaway
                          quiltingaway commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I couldn't agree more. I've had my 6600 for over 10 years at least. It is a workhorse! And I have never had any problems with it.
                      Working...
                      X