Any advice for a quilting slump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice for a quilting slump.

I haven’t been able (sounds dramatic but true) to quilt since shelter in place. I have bound a couple quilts, made lots of masks, and worked on a quiet book. But I just cannot go to my pile of started projects and start piecing. Maybe it is because I have not cleared away my mask making fabrics. Maybe it is because the masks reward me with a finish so quickly. Maybe it is because I really don’t love the projects that are waiting for me. Maybe it is because I am working from home now and it is easier to turn on computer. I don’t know. But have you ever pulled yourself through a slump? Thank you.

I understand, I have been making masks after masks. I put 17 on my porch mid day yesterday and they were gone by 5. I have a couple of fmq projects that I really want to get done but the mask request keep cropping up.
    My slumps usually result from procrastination [fear of starting] but if I just do whatever for a short time then I am hooked and don't want to stop.

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Claire. It is true that once I start I don’t want to quit. How did your neighbors know where to get masks?

Sometimes just straightening up my sewing room inspires me to get going, and in putting stuff away I almost always find something I forgot I had. I have been making alot of masks too and am suffering somewhat from mask burnout. Plus my adult daughter lives at home now. She loves that I have my own sewing room so she set up her machine 2 or 3 weeks ago at my spare (and only ) work table and her stuff is all over. She is the queen of unfinished projects! She hasn't sewed in at least two weeks and has since begun an embr project and a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, and she works FT. Today I am gping to clean my sewing room and put her stuff under the table so I can kind of get my room back.

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      You are so right. I really think if I clear some stuff away. My sewing room has also become my work from home room, so there is even more stuff. I think your approach with your daughter sounds right.

Sometimes I just don't have the energy to face whatever I'm working on, especially if it's not coming together the way I pictured. So I'll give myself permission to put it aside and start something small, like a table runner, mini quilt or tiny wall hanging (like Jenny's Little Stitches), just something quick and easy that I can finish in a couple of days.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.Yes. I may need to just start another project. And I must remember people need these masks

I have offered them on our neighborhood face book page. I made 70ish for my DIL's nursing home coworkers and then more for neighbors. It is unbelievable how much the demand has been. I know I have done over 200 probably closer to 250. I should have kept track just for fun.

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      The demand still is out there. What a treat to be able to obtain a free mask from a kind neighbor rather than pay $10.-15. on the internet for just one! I think we're going to be wearing these masks for several weeks yet.

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Joy I think you are underestimating. My dd's work (Amazon) told employees yesterday they will probably be wearing masks for the next year! Keep that mask pattern handy lol

I agree with Michele, something small or something you didn't think you needed for yourself.

Sewing machine cover or other small appliance
    Ironing board cover
    Jellyroll rug. I just ordered a couple of strip battings for one. I bought a cheaper brand than the Basal https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pillow cases
    Fabric baskets
    Christmas ornaments that look like masks. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Xmas ornaments that look like masks! Oh that is so funny!! Although I have some little red and white 9 patch blocks (3 inches) that look like the Red Cross. Was planning on using them as sashing cornerstones for a quilt I made but it made the quilt look too busy so now I have about 40 of them and I seriously thought about making a few into ornaments and emb on the back pandemic 2020. As if anyone would ever forget this year right.

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      You know how people will make money right out of the headlines? When Pelosi had the saying around her "don't mess with Nancy"? They were selling tee shirts the next day on Etsy. I know because I bought one lol.

Anyway, check out the embroidery folks over there now,
      https://www.etsy.com/search?q=mask%20embroidery

I forget if you have an EM https://www.etsy.com/listing/7820943...search_click=1
      Last edited by Hulamoon; April 29, 2020, 05:41 PM.

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hulamoon.

DH and I are really slumping today. I sewed for 30 min. this morning and it was not fulfilling. I think we may be having some depression and I can't put my finger on it. He is drinking more and sleeping more and I keep looking for stuff that needs done but its like I have ADHD and I want to go somewhere, anywhere, just ride around, walk around the block. When someone comes to work on the yard, gutters, whatever, we both follow them around hungry for human contact. Its weird. We sometimes went weeks without seeing anyone on the farm but we knew we could. This is just weird.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it would be an unusual person who isn’t a bit depressed. Your description of ADHD hits the nail on the head for me. The world is full of uncertainty, and yes weird. It will get better, I know. For you, too

I think we all get in slumps at one time or another. For some, it's after holidays, life-changing event or time of year - weather wise. What's important to remember is that it's ok. We can't be 100% productive all the time. Sometimes, we have to work on things we don't like and this takes our mojo away. It might be time to re-evaluate your stash, maybe sort through it and give what doesn't inspire you. It might be that you just need a break from sewing - try going for a walk respecting safe distance. Call a friend who lives alone. Sometimes while we may be down, it can lift our spirits to touch someone else's life.

We are meant to live in community, however we define it. When we can't do this, it's like going through the steps of grieving process. Try to switch up your routine. This will pass.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. You are kind. A

Oh Yes quilting slump,
    try bagging the not so loved projects into 30 minutes sewing, once done a bag, clean away, leave area till next time,
    little and oft goes a long way,
    just having a cuppa helps with wireless on a jolly up beat tune to boogie to.
    Sometimes just have to push self then there is the time when sew fabric back facing front, best to unpick, put away and do some baking instead.
    Hope you feel the mojo again soon😊
    hugs
    T

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      I am thinking clearing my space will be important for me.

I'm with you in a slump. I just got my bernina back from the shop a month ago. I was using my back up machine. First time I used it was day before yesterday to make a mask. We all go thru it. Hang in there! My fabric came today....I'm going to mod podge fabric on my dresser drawers. I'm excited! You can even make wall paper out of fabric. The possibilities.

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I am impressed by midge lodging dresser drawers!

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, look at the tutorials....it's awesome for furniture updates! I'm bored with paint and decided pattern was better. Hobby lobby is the only place to get mod podge right now in matte. I did wonder if gloss would look bad.

• Claire Hallman
      Claire Hallman commented
      Editing a comment
      Jennifer decorates on youtube recently did a video of applying fabric to a furniture front. It looked pretty easy. I remember a long ago effort to apply fabric like wallpaper using starch, it was a fiasco.

I have one more thought...if you own more than one sewing machine, switch machines. Maybe it's just me but I always enjoy taking a break from my everyday machine to sew on my oldies.
    Last edited by chelea; April 30, 2020, 12:01 PM.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• Claire Hallman
      Claire Hallman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have several machines but my favorite is my old Featherweight.

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have 2 machines. That is an idea. Thank you

Yes, it is common to experience these slumps right now. Many of the ladies at our local group feel lost about their next project. I've had one during all of this. Part was from everything being shut down and another part was a couple of messy rooms. Happy so say both are re-organized now.

Sending you a quilty hug. Be kind to yourself through this challenging time. May you find your inspiration again.

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. The messy room is indeed part of the problem

Give yourself permission to make something with that special fabric you've been holding on to for a while.

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      I still haven’t done curves yet, so this might be my time. I purchased the drunkards path ruler set awhile ago. Thank you

Seriously, its not like its a JOB! Do what makes you happy in the moment.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Old Newbie
      Old Newbie commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! I know. I think I want to do what feels normal.
Working...
X