• Show
Clear All

5 WAYS TO USE UGLY FABRIC ***FREE QUILT PATTERN***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePQz1eN5Ko

Enjoy
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Thanks. That will be my bedtime watching tonight.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Amazing! I just found a use for some of those ugly fabrics I have in my stash. Some of them I obtained when I bought 2 mystery 1/2 yd. bundles -- some of the fabrics I never would have chosen & didn't like. I recently used some of the fabrics in making face masks. I don't have a 60 mm rotary cutter, so I probably would cut fewer layers of fabric at a time. I'm going to check out her web site for the printed pattern. Thanks for sharing, Annika.

Comment

Karen Brown is great! Her videos are some of the most useful & fun to watch I’ve ever seen. She has a really engaging video personality, a lot like Jenny...
        Especially interesting are her videos on color theory, there are 4 I think. I really recommend those.
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

She is great! I never watched her before. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Swedish leo View Post
            Man, I've been making ugly , usable quilt for years. After a while, they become the treasures. The ones that I think are beautiful when I'm making them are not nearly as comfortable...they just don't have the same feel about them. So, I say, to heck with matching designer fabrics...just cut some up and sew it back together
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

Hi, I had some green fat quarters so I used her technique and I love the quilt! It worked.
              Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
              Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I’m not too much into YT (I loose patience with so many of the videosI try to watch), but really enjoy her style. I’ve already pieced 2 “ugly” quilts (from the same fabrics), used one of the color theory exercises when assembling the “ugly quilt”, and plan on using g her advice to manage the batting scraps I’m amassing.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I'm glad this popped up again today. I'm going to go through the boxes of Christmas fabrics I've been scratching my head about. Most were from a friend in colors that I wouldn't choose. It will be a good way to use them up for the Grand kids if nothing else!
                  Katrina
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Great idea!
                    I have to finish some UFO's first though!
                    I do have some 'ugly' or 'what was I thinking' fabrics.
                    There's an ugly quilt in my future 😂

Comment

I think I'm going to do this challenge. I have many that were given to me, some were bulk buys. I have such a hard time doing uncontrolled scrappy but I'm just going to dive in and turn off my brain. I have a 30 gallon trash bag and 3 other bins full of scraps to. Starting with ugly fabric and ending with scraps that are big enough. I want to do 30 blocks because I have so much fabric.

Comment

I’m starting to learn more about color theory, and I used this as an exercise in value. Even my DH got into it, and quilting stuff usually goes over his head. We spent 20 minutes trying to arrange my random fabrics in increasing value, and were both surprised at several of the results (in particular a red that appeared fairly light, until we looked at the B&W picture)

My sister has many sports matches in her future, with 4 young kids, so I plan it as a gift, along with the story.

Comment

I found a similar tutorial and of course now I can't find the link. The difference was instead of putting one fabric strip on the bottom, then again just one and then three you do this

Cut your first stack, put one on the bottom, next cut you put two, next cut three etc. She swore no two fabrics will touch each other in the same block. None of mine were, so since I can't do the math jumble in my head I thought I'd pass this on to confuse everyone. 🤣
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• KPH
                            KPH commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Duly noted and confused. I started working on the 20 blocks for the bigger quilt. I sorted 10 in each pile and cut like Karen did. You wouldn't think losing 2 blocks would make such a difference in cutting, but it does!

I’ll watch her video again a bit later to see if the 1 strip-3 strips method is used the same for 12 block and 20 blocks. Or do I have to move more strips for larger quilts?

Comment

Working...
                          X