Jenny's Easy Carpenter Star pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenny's Easy Carpenter Star pattern

I'm thinking of trying Jenny's Carpenter Star quilt with a charm pack instead of a layer cake, to make a baby size quilt. Do you think it will work? How big would the quilt be if I used one print layer cake and one solid layer cake? In my mind it would work, but I can't figure out what the finished size would be. Help and suggestions welcome!

a charms 5 inches less the seam allowance 1/4 on each side, = 1/2 inchthat be 4,1/2 inches
    but then halving to make hst the square would then be smaller by another 1/4inch then you have to squaring up again,
    think should do the hst first and square up and cut the squares to that size
    it be somewhere around 4 inches per square unfinished minus seam allowance again gives you 3.5 inches x by how many squares across should offer how big will be.
    perhaps do a test hst using jennys method of drawing a line and sewing 1/4 either side on 2 squares to get certain numbers,
    can do this with paper, cutting to 5 inch squares, and then sewing ironing and measuring. allow for the thread and fabric thickness.

all depends on your seam allowance and half square triangle unfinished size to how big really
    perhaps made this a bit confusing but its generally I how work it out.
    good luck
    Last edited by 201 Treadler; April 27, 2020, 05:45 AM.

Comment

A great pattern, too large for me. I think you have a great idea making a smaller version of Jenny’s Carpenter Star quilt. A crib/lap size quilt using children’s prints would be great.
      Jenny used 10 in squares if you use 5 in squares your quilt would be 1/2 the finished size. (?)
      which still would be a large lap quilt.
      you can always draw the design out on graph paper if it will help you to visualize the smaller version.
      sometimes this helps putting it down on paper. Good luck making your quilt. They have really cute children’s prints available. Personally I believe a lap quilt is better than a small crib quilt. Babies grow and will outgrow a small quilt quickly.

Comment

Jenny's Carpenter Star pattern is almost identical to the Moda Love quilt (except for a different center) which can be made with either a layer cake, charm pack or mini charms.

https://www.unitednotions.com/Moda-L...Cake-Quilt.pdf
        Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• Cokie
          Cokie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! This is similar in design and size. Jenny's is 83" with the 6" border for the layer cakes, and the Moda Love quilt is 72" so it's very close. This is very helpful - thank you!

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          But those Moda squares are 9.5", which still would be too large for me. I like the idea of using charm squares for a smaller quilt. I make mostly crib size quilts. I try to keep them < 40" wide so I don't have to piece the backing. Most of the baby quilts are ~39" wide & 45" long. The suggestion to graph it out on paper is a good one.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I just looked at the pattern again & realize it has 3 sizes -- for layer cakes, charms, & mini charms. I printed it off. That's a good visual.
      Working...
      X