Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite quilting hack or sewing tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite quilting hack or sewing tip?

I am tired of masks and virus related things so thought I would completely change the subject! One of my favorite tips is threading a needle. I am a hq and the eyes in those hq needles are really really small. I have a needle threader that often doesn't work. I forget if you are supposed to use round eyes or oval eyes, it takes one but not the other. Hahaha did you ever stare at the eye of a needle? Well I have and I swear it is NOT possible to distinguish the shape of the hole! Somebody said if you lick the eye of the needle it will make it easier to thread. Oh yeah I did not believe that for a second but I had to try it. And you know what? It really really works about 98% of the time!! Do you have a favorite trick to share?

Hi Joycelyn, I’ve heard that trick too.... guess I better try it now. My most recent tip would be about big stitch quilting. I use freezer paper ironed onto my quilt as my guide for my stitching designs. The last quilt I made has circles quilted on it...around the freezer paper then just peel it away.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, I may have to try that.

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this idea. Can you reuse the freezer paper or do you need a new one for each block? You would need alot of freezer paper for a whole quilt.

I really don't have one, but I'm so happy I mastered the art of starter fabric and chaining. I'm doing two sets of Memory games from charm packs. One is Farmers Market and the other is an I Spy from MM. It's so fast!

My tool hack would be to put my rotary cutter in a plastic pouch with a package of silica. Everything rusts so fast here.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Not sure if this is a hack but I moved a lot over the years and don't always get a sewing room. I have never had to throw away a big cutting mat. I store the big cutting mats under my mattress. Provides a flat surface and they don't bend.

I use old prescription bottles for broken needles and pins too. I'm sure this is old school.

Comment

This is not a new hack, but it was like a lightbulb went on when I found it! I use a glue stick to glue the binding down before I sew it. I use the Donna Jordan method of binding, sewing it to the front first then SITD. Before I started gluing the binding down, the feed dogs would sometimes dislodge part of it and I would have to go back and fix it.

I also use the Shabby Fabrics magic binding method to join the ends. Works perfect every time!

Comment

I cut my thread on an angle most times and can thread it easier.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
            I am tired of masks and virus related things so thought I would completely change the subject! One of my favorite tips is threading a needle. I am a hq and the eyes in those hq needles are really really small. I have a needle threader that often doesn't work. I forget if you are supposed to use round eyes or oval eyes, it takes one but not the other. Hahaha did you ever stare at the eye of a needle? Well I have and I swear it is NOT possible to distinguish the shape of the hole! Somebody said if you lick the eye of the needle it will make it easier to thread. Oh yeah I did not believe that for a second but I had to try it. And you know what? It really really works about 98% of the time!! Do you have a favorite trick to share?
            Related to yours, I find that threading with your non-dominate hand seems to work better as your eyes coordinate with the hole. Works for me both machine needle and hand needle.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

• Amjones
              Amjones commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d never thought about it...but I also thread with non-dominant hand! Works best for me.

My sewing studio does not have easy access to water as it's detached from the rest of the house, refilling the iron I knew was going to be a constant annoyance. To solve this problem I went to a local restaurant supply store and purchased 4 large condiment bottles (think oversized ketchup bottles) and also found a cute wire divided basket with a handle that the bottles fit in. One trip to the house to refill the bottles, and each bottle will refill my iron 3 times. But my real hack was the bottles didn't come with a stoppers or nozzle caps, so I used pencil erasers (the kind that you slide onto the end of your pencil) Perfect fit!

Comment

• grammaterry
              grammaterry commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a glass tequilla (large size) bottle with a handle. Don't have to refill it often and it has a built in pourer spout to keep the water from coming too fast.

Wow, you guys are brilliant. My favorite may seem elementary, but folding a piece a fabric to mark the middle was a big step forward in ease for me.

Comment

Freezer paper! I have a very old box of freezer paper. I will find out one of these days if it still will iron on. Thanks for that tip.

Comment

I wet the eye of the needle on machine and handsewing needles. Learnt this trick years ago when my needle threader on machine kept breaking. It really works.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

An empty liquid creamer bottle makes a good water bottle for filling steam irons. It holds quite a bit of water and has a small pour spout that prevents spills.
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I once used those flat foam shapes from the children's section at the dollar store to quilt around. If I sewed onto it there wasn't a problem as it just tore away easily leaving the stitches. There were flowers and leaves plus other designs.

Comment

• Caroline T.
                      Caroline T. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a great idea!

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                    My sewing studio does not have easy access to water as it's detached from the rest of the house, refilling the iron I knew was going to be a constant annoyance. To solve this problem I went to a local restaurant supply store and purchased 4 large condiment bottles (think oversized ketchup bottles) and also found a cute wire divided basket with a handle that the bottles fit in. One trip to the house to refill the bottles, and each bottle will refill my iron 3 times. But my real hack was the bottles didn't come with a stoppers or nozzle caps, so I used pencil erasers (the kind that you slide onto the end of your pencil) Perfect fit!
                    Aren't those things great! I ordered a few of them from Target, one for dish soap one for cooking oil and now you gave me the idea for the iron. So thank you!

these have the top for it if anyone wants to steal Caroline's hack

https://www.target.com/p/oxo-16oz-fo...e/-/A-53257629

they come in 12oz too
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

This is a longarm tip for loading the backing fabric on the frame. Jamie Wallen shows this in a video. I was having trouble with pinning the fabric on and trying to be so careful so it would be equal tautness but usually one end would be slack and the other end taut. Annoying. But Jamie said to roll the quilt backing a couple of times (completely) back and forth and the fabric will even out. It works. Everytime I have had a problem, I did this and it worked. Jamie Wallen also has several free videos on Youtube to watch.
                      Vonnie

Comment

• Caroline T.
                        Caroline T. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I use that one too. It does really make a huge difference.
                    Working...
                    X