Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another mask pattern but look at the solution for elastic ear bands!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another mask pattern but look at the solution for elastic ear bands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t_Gz3lGwF8
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

That was an excellent mask pattern!! I am not sure about the ear loops. They look cool but using paracord for the ties? Who has a supply of that laying around. I am not exactly sure what it even is or where to buy it. Thanks for finding the post though. And honestly I hope I am done making masks for awhile!!

Comment

paracord it is normally used for survival gear, tying down or up its very strong considering the size, can make all sorts of items, handy or crafty.
      actually do have some, got a flint to start fire when matches run out it was part of the kit, not so energetic to make a bow drill like Ray Mears
      thanks you for the mask pattern.

Comment

I was thinking paracord was stretchy, but it's not. It's like a thin rope that people use to make knotted bracelets out of. I'm not sure how I would like that on my ears. I did like the mask pattern. I read on another page that you can take foil and fold it over several times to use for the flexible nose piece too.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Yesterday, I made several of these and cut out a bunch more. This is an awesome pattern with great fit and wonderful adjustability on the ears. I used quilters cotton on the outside with liners of flannel. I used the coffee bag twist ties on the nose and 1/4 inch elastic with pony beads. They fit snug enough to breathe in and out with you, with no gaps or leaks. They are thick enough to not be able to see through or blow out a candle flame. While not N95, I still think they are a great choice to use. Today, I cut down the pattern and made 2 for the grandsons, but without a child to try them on, I am not sure of the fit. They were much more fiddley to make! I only ended up making about 20 total, with two per family member. We will see how they like them, how much they cost to mail, if they wear them, etc before we make bunches more. They would be much faster to make out of the same fabric, but of course, I had to custom make them all different. Silly me! Thanks for sharing the video!

Comment

I googled and paracord is suppose to have 30% stretch. The cording I had, did not stretch. I used up all the elastic I had on hand. Will need to figure something out, if I make more. I tried the ties of tshirt knit, but although they were soft and stretchy, they didn’t look as nice as the elastic. I tried ties of ribbing, too, but same rough look and I was not sure of how it would hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
              I googled and paracord is suppose to have 30% stretch. The cording I had, did not stretch. I used up all the elastic I had on hand. Will need to figure something out, if I make more. I tried the ties of tshirt knit, but although they were soft and stretchy, they didn’t look as nice as the elastic. I tried ties of ribbing, too, but same rough look and I was not sure of how it would hold up.
              Check out my posting on making ties out of bias binding: https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...but-no-elastic
              “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
              “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• SuzyQue
                SuzyQue commented
                Editing a comment
                While I have lots of bias tape available, this pattern fits well only because it needs that bit of stretch in the ties. I don’t think I could get the two strings of bias through my beads, and the bead helps the ties to be adjustable. I can make other totes of masks with bias ties.....just not this preferred one, but thanks for the idea. I had seen your colorful post!

Use t-shirt ties. They are honestly the most comfortable off all the ties I’ve tried and they’re EXTREMELY simple! Cut a shirt into 1” strips, give the a tight tug and they’re done! Just knot the end once you’ve finished and they don’t unravel. I’ve changed to these exclusively and everyone loves them.
              Last edited by cindirae; April 19, 2020, 05:17 AM.
              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• SuzyQue
                SuzyQue commented
                Editing a comment
                As noted above, I did try the tee shirt ties, but didn’t like the look of them. They are very soft, agreed, but I didn’t think they would hold up to the constant wear and necessary washing these masks will need to endure. My husband kept a mask with them in it and we will test the durability, before I make more for others, but thanks for your comment. As I recently endured a traumatic injury to my right hand and it is still healing, it is very painful to use and I need to make my work count!

If you need the nose pieces. I just split an order with a friend. FYI: There was a glitch with the shipping as it is now approx $12.00 instead of the $7.00 as originally shows.

https://store.elastishield.com/search

Comment

Working...
              X