Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery quilt inherited. Need help identifying it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery quilt inherited. Need help identifying it.

Hello, my name is Shiloh. I am new to this forum. Hello all! I am looking for wisdom. I have inherited a partially constructed quilt top and I am looking for any ideas of how this should go together. A name or a method would be welcomed.
    Thank you for any help you can lend.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hello Shiloh and welcome to the forum from Wisconsin! What you have looks like pieces of star blocks, maybe Ohio Star? Sort your pieces into like colors, all navy, all burgundy, etc. Each star block is likely only one color, and maybe the same one print per block. There should be one square for the middle of your block, and two pointy triangles each at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions that make your star points or legs. The four corners should each have a plain square, usually plain white which you could cut from your stash if you don't see any plain squares in your inherited pieces. Just build your stars one at a time with each color. Once you get the blocks sewed together you can figure out if you will have enough for a quilt, or will have to add width and length by adding sashing strips or borders. I know I didn't explain this too well so I hope you can follow. Sorry I don't have a photo to make this cleater. You could also go on Pinterest and search for star quilts and see if you can find one that matches the design to the piece parts you have.

Comment

• Shiquin
      Shiquin commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay. There are very specific color sets. I will see if I can get that to work. Thank you! I will let you know how it goes.

To me it looks like the beginnings of a "Wonky Star" quilt block

Comment

• Shiquin
      Shiquin commented
      Editing a comment
      I will check on this one too. I am excited to have a few leads to try! Thank you

Yes, the legs of the star will be a bit wonky. Not sure what the smaller "sailboat" blocks are for.

Comment

• Shiquin
      Shiquin commented
      Editing a comment
      I will search for the wonky star. The smaller blocks are done in the same fabric combinations so I wonder if they were for a border of some type. Maybe a backing design.

It is definitely a Wonky Star! Thank you so much. I have been trying to find this answer for 7 years. I can't wait to assemble it!!!

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Caroline T. commented
      Editing a comment
      So glad we could help. The smaller pieces might have been leftovers from when the other pieces were created. Many of us quilters hate to toss out bits of scraps and will save them for either another project, or as you guessed incorporate them into a border or on the back as an extra design element.

I feel bad giving you the wrong info but I am glad you figured it out. I went back and looked closer at your photo and sure enough, those star points are different sizes. I don't know how I missed that. Good luck on the project.

Comment

• Shiquin
      Shiquin commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't feel bad. I appreciate the effort all the same. Thank you for giving your time.

Here is the progress with the white squares with it
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Looking good. Kudos to you for your patience and determination.

Comment

That will be a beautiful quilt!!! Welcome to the forum!!!

Comment

Happy for your solution. Welcome to the forum. Be sure to post the finished quilt.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

Yay!! You are getting it together!! Looks like you are on the right track.

Comment

How fun! Do you have any idea how big it will be or do you have to add to it?
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Shiquin
                Shiquin commented
                Editing a comment
                I am not sure what size it will be. There are enough pieces to make 20 star blocks. I assume 4 across and 5 down. Perhaps queen size? I am fairly new to quilting so hopefully I can manage to not mess it up.

Very nice work, in my country there is a saying that say" they see more four eyes than two" and this forum there are many eyes and many friendly people willing to help, we all hope to see your work, and I welcome you from the Basque Country

Comment

Working...
              X