Question: Ties instead of elastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Ties instead of elastic

I switched to making my own ties as opposed to using elastic which is almost impossible to get anymore.

I only have a few more masks to make to finish using up all my stash and I ordered another 15 yds of cotton fabric to start doing a new batch. Is there any reason I can't use the poly cotton I still have around here for the ties only? Any reason that part of the mask would have to be 100% cotton? It would save me a lot of money to be able to use up this poly cotton I have around here for something???
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

I had some poly cotton that I didn't realize there was poly. I have no idea where I got it. I had planned on using it for masks until I held it up to the light and realized how thin it is. I think the reason for 100% cotton is the density of the fabric, I think batik is even better because it is so dense.

Edit: Sorry I must ave misread your post. I am sure the poly blend will be fine for ties.
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; April 15, 2020, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
      I had some poly cotton that I didn't realize there was poly. I have no idea where I got it. I had planned on using it for masks until I held it up to the light and realized how thin it is. I think the reason for 100% cotton is the density of the fabric, I think batik is even better because it is so dense.
      That part I understand because the mask part is what goes over the face so you don't want it that thin. But I was thinking the ties which replace the elastic doesn't actually go over the face it's just holding the mask in place. So would there be any reason that needs to be heavier cotton? In the tutorial she used like a clothes line cord for that.
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I think it is perfectly ok to use poly for the tie part. I have seen so many different mask patterns and when you think about it, lots of other tie alternatives like shoestrings, cut up socks, pony tail holders, things that clearly aren't 100% cotton, so I say why not?! Go for it! You must be making a ton of masks if you need to buy 15 yds of fabric. That is so wonderful of you!

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
          I think it is perfectly ok to use poly for the tie part. I have seen so many different mask patterns and when you think about it, lots of other tie alternatives like shoestrings, cut up socks, pony tail holders, things that clearly aren't 100% cotton, so I say why not?! Go for it! You must be making a ton of masks if you need to buy 15 yds of fabric. That is so wonderful of you!
          I've given out about 75 so far in our community so far. Many people made a donation (I'm doing them for free) so I was able to get another 15 yards :-) Quite a few work in the local nursing homes but also others who are distancing and would like them for when they go grocery shopping and such. I'm psyched about these new ones. I got little american flags fabric :-)

Comment

I've been using Donna Jordan's pattern, which calls for all cotton for both the mask part & for the ties. I think the elastic (for those lucky enough to have some) would hurt the ears if one has to wear the mask all day while at work or wherever. For short periods of time it's ok. I've seen masks with 1/2" elastic. The other nice thing about the ties is that they fit different sized heads. My son has a beard, so I'm thinking his whiskers are going to take up more space than for a person w/o a beard. Donna is using what looks like narrow electrical wire for the nose piece. I'm going to try the plastic twist ties (with wire center) for the nose piece. I snipped some from ties that came on romaine lettuce. It cuts easily with scissors. Some people are using pipe cleaners for the nose piece, but after a trial with that, I gave it up. The sharp metal ends poke through the fabric. After trying 2 different widths for the ties, I've decided I like 2-1/4" rather than 2.5". The ties don't seem quite as bulky. But the advantage of the 2.5" is you can use the pre-cut JR strips.

Bonnie Hunter's tutorial is a good one, too. She posted instructions for use of a mask. If one is giving away masks, it would be a great insert to include with the mask.
            Last edited by JCY; April 14, 2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• MSN
              MSN commented
              Editing a comment
              Joy, I agree about using a narrower tie. I've been cutting 2" strips that finish at about 1/2".

Regarding the wire poking through - cut the wire (or pipe cleaner) 1" longer than its finished length. Fold each end back 1/2" and pinch or crimp. The sharp end of the wire is less likely to poke through.

My dd used lycra, you don' even have to make a tube out of it. She threaded it so it went behind the neck and over a pony tail. Super comfortable.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

used a new bed sheet bought to make santa hats for decorations, cut up to make the ties from, no point using the close, high count thread fabric, for ties. thanks for all your efforts making.😀

Comment

• jjkaiser
                jjkaiser commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a great idea! I bought a bedsheet from the thrift store with trucks on it to make bibs for my 6 month old grandson, and have almost the whole sheet left. It would make a gazillion ties!

I think it would be fine to use the poly/cotton blend for the ties. People are using all kinds of different things. The all cotton fabric is more important for the actual mask itself, I think.

Comment

Ties might take the wearer a few seconds longer to put on, but they are much more comfortable than elastic. I am now required to wear a surgical mask and face shield for my entire shift in the hospital. No home made masks allowed there. I cannot imagine how uncomfortable it would be to have 1/2" elastic behind my ears all day.

Carlie Wolf, I think that poly-cotton will be just fine for the ties. Thanks for cranking out all those masks!

Comment

Since watching Donna Jordan's mask tutorial (3 times already!), I've switched from pipe cleaners to those plastic ties like for plastic bags. I have extras that I've been saving from my Baggies sandwich bag boxes. Donna mentioned wire 3" long; those ties are exactly 3". I used them for the 2 masks I made today. Worked great. Not sure how they will hold up in a hot dryer, but I may air dry my masks. Part of the time I've been hand washing my masks anyway. Unless one puts stitching on either side of the wire, tie, or pipe cleaner, it will shift to the side.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                    Since watching Donna Jordan's mask tutorial (3 times already!), I've switched from pipe cleaners to those plastic ties like for plastic bags. I have extras that I've been saving from my Baggies sandwich bag boxes. Donna mentioned wire 3" long; those ties are exactly 3". I used them for the 2 masks I made today. Worked great. Not sure how they will hold up in a hot dryer, but I may air dry my masks. Part of the time I've been hand washing my masks anyway. Unless one puts stitching on either side of the wire, tie, or pipe cleaner, it will shift to the side.
                    Use a wide zig zag stitch to hold the wire in place. That is what I have been doing.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm up to over 125 masks and will continue to sew for the community. Our Guild is well over 1000. I just love the olson masks using the pattern below, with some modification. I have tested any number of patterns and the Olson is my go to. There are patterns out there for children over 2 which I have made too.
                      Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVk12sFRkY
                      Pattern: https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapi...Mask%20V07.pdf

Here are the instructions for what I do:

I only use one of the patterns to cut out the six pieces for each mask. I don't find it necessary to use both. They work out fine.

For the nose section. I start with a 3/8th inch seam allowance and taper down about an inch to use the 1/4 seam allowance for the nose area. It brings that closer to the nose and great for folks who wear glasses. and more form fitting.

For the mouth pieces, I do hem the raw edge.

For the cheek pieces, I do surge the side which sits under the mouth piece. If you want to put a hem there, adjust the pattern to accommodate. I have also used my pinking shears.

I don't put any filters in but provide instruction for doing that.

I put the elastic hair ties on. Dollar Tree has them. They fit perfectly and are soft. I've gotten some packets with 40, others down to 15. They are available online in bulk, but I have ordered that way. I had an industrial stash of 3/8 " elastic and have shared that with great numbers of folks. I prefer the hair ties, but certainly have used the elastic on the pleated masks.

I don't put anything in the nose area or stitch around the whole mask. I do stitch about 1/4 inch - 1.25" on across the nose piece and at the bottom center to secure the fabric. It also helps to give more form to the nose section without having to deal with the wire.

Stay well, all. Thank you for what you are doing!

“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

A great pattern for the masks are Leah Days. She has both the adults and child's pattern. It is made to use a removable filter with or with out elastic or ties. They come out perfect in the pleating. Check out her Youtube Leahday/masks.

Comment

Working...
                        X