QAYG Hexagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QAYG Hexagons

I made a full/queen sized QAYG Hexagon Quilt and am not very happy with the results. Perhaps I understood it incorrectly; the only way to connect the hexagons is with a zig-zag? That's what I used and it ended up looking so 'folksy' not very crisp and clean. On top of that, the thread/fabric combination made it necessary to backstitch a number of times at the start and finish of each row otherwise the stitching would come out. It was a gift for my husbands birthday and he loved it. I am a little less thrilled. I still like the QAYG hexagons, but will probably stick to table runners or much smaller projects. Can anyone recommend some other way to connect the hexies?

gosh, i have tons of those cut out for a quilt. I am going to zig zag them together with matching thread. Mauve. may do a blanket stitch on the hex's. can we see a photo of yours? perhaps it isn't that bad,just not what you were hoping for.

Comment

I'd like to see it too. If I remember right most people hand sew them together. Something I would never attempt.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        I'd like to see it too. If I remember right most people hand sew them together. Something I would never attempt.
        That's what I'm doing …… and have been doing for a few years!!!!🙄

Comment

The first photo, if I'm looking at this correctly, is an internal seam that just didn't connect. I was fixing a number of these, it was late, and I was in a foul mood. I deserve to have it look like that. I was sewing-angry. 🤪 The next photo is of the start/end of a row. If I didn't backstitch, it would loosen and come undone. Could've tied it, however, in my family strength is a necessity and I avoid handwork as much as possible. Backstitching was the best option. After listening to Karen Brown's Vlog #2 I realize I am whining about nothing. I have it pretty (VERY) good. Thank you for your comments. Stay safe and healthy!
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• KPH
            KPH commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a little late now, but what about making a bar tack at the end of the row?

I think it's a wonderful quilt! At first I was thinking back stitching isn't going to make it look bad. Your machine back stitches in a zig-zag? Mine does a straight line or a locking stitch. Your machine doesn't have that feature?
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wow, that's a beautiful quilt, and if your husband loves, that's all that counts. How many hexagons for that size?

I've got over 80 made, but I decided to sew them by hand while I watch TV. I haven't started assembling as I'm not sure how many more I need to made for a lap quilt. I hadn't decided how I would assemble, leaning toward a blanket stitch. I don't think I want to sew it by hand, but who knows now that we have a lot of indoor and at-home time.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Very Nice, I had the same troubles that you had. Since this was my first hexi project, I used some fabric that I maybe 1/2 yard left. It was really neat to put the hexi's together, then had to put the whole thing together. First I hand stitched them together. (a first for me) then I didn't like it, because I didn't think it would hold. so I machine stitched around them. up close it didn't look to good, but from a distance it was good. The person whom I gave it to enjoys it.

Comment

Well I think it is terrific and the main thing your DH loves it. Maybe you aren't happy with the stitching but to me it looks fine and certainly will hold up in the wash because you backstitched. I love hexie quilts but never made one. I think all that stitching around papers then removing the papers would drive me insane. How long did it take?

Comment

if do not like epp english paper piecing, can join hexagons in rows on machine then swivelling up and down for next row on machine, but that can get interesting, marking a 1/4 sewing line on hexagons may help before construction to know where to start and stop the sewing stitches,
                  hand sewing might be easier on the swivelling rows. work in 2 rows at a time till join all together, it depends on your preference. my 2 sheep picture upper left of machine, was done on machine with full hexagons, the single sheep picture below is half hexagon sew on machine.
                  making a quilt with half hexagons are easier to sew on machine.
                  this qayg method am not familiar with, but looks very jolly x colourful. amazing achievement😁
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The QAYG is the M* template and method to cut batting and hexagon same size and backing about 1/2"+ all around. Then fold over edge, press, pin and sew. Then join finished hexagons. There is a tutorial. The template was designed by someone in UK, which M* collaborated with to sell. Her name escapes me.

Can I jump in here and ask....how many hexi's do you need to make a quilt larger than a throw? I have the new template and I'm cutting out hexi's but don't know how many to make.

Comment

Wow, I think that’s a beautiful quilt! I love all the bright colors, and that it’s reversible. It’s funny how we’re so often our own harshest critic. Whenever I finish a project, all I can see the first few days are the quilting boo-boos. It takes me a few days to step back and appreciate the larger picture.

Comment

Casi, just measure your template across and see how many it would take going across and down for the size you want. easy, peasy.

Comment

9 rows of 17 hexies, 10 rows of 16. 313 hexies make a quilt large enough to lay across a king sized bed. There is no drop. The nice thing about this QAYG quilt is that I can always add extra rows at a later time, which I'm thinking I will.

Comment

• nativetexan
                          nativetexan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yea! Glad you got them together. Want my tub full of hex's? No? Ok, i will do them one day soon.
                          I think more hex's will be coming in your life! show a pic when you can.
                      Working...
                      X