Steam Irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Irons

Our water comes from a well, and is quite hard. I have had a series of steam irons that over time (like a year or so) develop calcium deposits that the iron "spits" out onto whatever I'm ironing. So now I just put the iron on "dry" and use a spray bottle.

Anyone else have this issue? I'd love to use the steam feature in my iron again, but not sure what kind of water to put in it. Distilled? Spring water?

Thanks in advance - love this community!
    Last edited by SallyO'Sews; April 8th, 2020, 08:54 PM.

I always use distilled water in my iron. I use a Reliable and I love it. This one has last for years and years and still steams well.

Comment

I've used distilled water with my previous irons. I live in the city & have relatively soft water, so now I'm using tap water (per the instructions that came with the iron). I have a Black & Decker iron. It sounds like your situation needs distilled water, or continue to use your spritz bottle.

Comment

First you need to run some vinegar thru the system, then use distilled water. You can get it at Walmart by the other bottled water
        sigpic

Comment

Yep- most private well water has enough minerals present that don't play well with steam irons for long. Even the home water softeners and filters don't do an adequate job. Been there- done that. I wouldn't bother with the expense of "distilled water" but most every grocery store has a "filtered water" dispenser somewhere on the premises. Either buy their jugs or bring your own container for a fill.
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Working...
          X