Irish Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Change

I am new to quilting, a little over a year and a half. I love the tutorials, they are extremely helpful!
    My question is about the Irish Change quilt, you used 10’ squares, but how do I figure out the measurements if I wanted to use a 5’ square?
    Thanks so much for the help

I made the Irish Change and the change block would be end up using very tiny pieces if you wanted to make the blocks to end up 5”. My corner pieces started out with 2” pieces. Yours would have to be 1”. Unless you enjoy working with very small pieces, I would not use 5” squares between the blocks. It is doable, but I have no idea how it would work. You could take Jenny’s measurements for the 10” square and cut those numbers in half, use scrap fabric to make a sample block and work it out that way, and see if you like the look of the smaller block.

Comment

The pattern uses 10" squares for the print blocks, and she makes the second block to a 10" block.

To get that much piecing to match. I would think you'd divide everything she did for the second block in half. That's going to make for some really small piecing.

Personally, it would be too small for me. Those 2" strips would be 1" and with 1/4" seam allowance on both sides, it would end up being 1/2" finished. I'd be burning my fingers up, to press those seams.
      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

As a new quilter I think you would have more fun making the quilt the size Jenny made hers.
        It would be a challenge to make it with 5” squares.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
        X