Frustrated - stupid 1/4 inch elastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated - stupid 1/4 inch elastic

I guess I'm not a nimble thimble. I'm having an awful time trying to sew the two ends of this elastic into a ring that goes over the ears for the masks. Anyone have any helpful hints????? Trying to hold it together to form neatly under the pressure foot to stitch is so frustrating. Even when I do get it, it looks awful messy although granted that part is covered over when I fold the sides of the mask together. I swear I could have three masks sewn in the time it takes me to put together that stupid elastic.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Dot of washable school glue?

Comment

Maybe sew one end onto a scrap of fabric and then the other side. Sorta like the ends put on zippers when making pouches? Then sew the fabrics together? This will be covered anyway. Also, allow yourself to be messy. This is not a contest. I know I tend to get a little OCD myself sometimes. LOL
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

In the scrub caps I've been making (different situation, I know). I pin the elastic,with the tip of the pin, just to the left of where the needle will go down. So the pin is holding the elastic in place, and it's just out of the path of the needle.
        Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
        ― Maya Angelou

Comment

These are all good suggestions. KPH that is the one I've been struggling with :-/, because the elastic is so narrow I just can't get it to stay in place even with the pin. grrrr. I'm going to try the glue and see how that does. I may even switch to the mask that was just linked to my other thread and avoid the elastic all together (particularly since its getting so hard to order now anyway.
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels.
          When someone
          break's our wings
          we will continue to
          fly...usually on a
          broomstick.
          We're flexible like that.
          - embroitique

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Use ties. My niece says the elastics are making everyone's ears sore. Yes, she's a nurse, in charge of other nurses.

I make alot of scrunchies as a side business. I overlap very little and put a pin in horizontally. zig zag back and forth, take the pin out and zig zag a few more times.

Comment

I hear your ire, its the same with me, so I ended up just using bias ties, should be good.

Comment

I used the bias tape maker for making ties. I cut the strips at 1 and 7/8 inch by WOF. This makes enough to put on the sides first and then the rest goes across the top and bottom.

No need to cut on the bias though.

PS: I also stitched down the other side of the binding after it was on the mask. This extra step makes it look like an actual tie and makes a nice finish.
              Last edited by Rhonda K; April 4th, 2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I am using ties, and found a pattern somewhere, couldn't begin to say where, come to think of it I think it was our very own Jenny Doan. The tie goes straight across the top and bottom . Best pattern I have found but the tucks are giving me trouble.

Comment

I raised my stitch length, and I go back and forth over it several times.

Comment

TMP, simple solution that never occurred to me, thanks!!!

Comment

I tack and stitch over and over the elastic first on each side of one of the pieces both top and bottom end about 3/8" from the top and bottom of the mask (I'm assuming rectangular pleated mask here, although I use this method on others) Obviously, it will pull in a little bit, but from then on, it's fixed in place. I then sew around the mask.
                      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I used kids washable glue and i also tried double sided basting tape. Both worked well for me.

Comment

It's not necessary to join the ends of the elastic together. I used Jenny's tutorial. I poked the elastic in at the top & pinned it, then at the bottom, then ran the seam down the sides. You use less elastic that way, too. I also did not use as much elastic as Jenny said; it was too loose for my head. I cut the elastic shorter, a scant 7". Trial & error, I guess. My first 2 masks were not usable. The third one was ok. I also made the width (top to bottom) measurement 7" instead of 6". It needed to be bigger for me. I made an extra seam across the top so I could insert a pipe cleaner for fitting around the nose. Each pipe cleaner can be cut in half to use for 2 masks. Whatever works. I've seen people in the stores with scarfs around their face & neck or using men's bandanas. I'm going to try some masks with ties to see if I like them any better.

Comment

I have been making quite a few masks and everyone likes the ties better because of the sore ears. My niece works in a nursing home and they all want ones with ties. Shoe laces are good if you can find them. A pair of 45 inch sport laces will give you 6 strings. You get 4 with tips and 2 without you just tie a knot in those. Leah Day has the best mask tutorial on YouTube. They come out perfect. They also have a opening in the back for a filter. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X