Cotton muslim suitable for masks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton muslim suitable for masks?

Someone gave me quite a bit of cotton muslim and I'm wondering if it is suitable in mask making. The design I'm using is two 8 pieces and forms an inner pocket for a filter. You could put a hepa filter in or two sided fusible like Pellon 950 or 911. It doesn't seem to be as tightly woven as normal cotton or it uses finer threads, I'm assuming it's a muslim. I'm using up my normal cotton stash for the front pieces of the mask and wondered if I could use this for the side that touches the face? Any thoughts? Hope so because I could definitely get more masks made this way.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

I'm making them too. Hold the two layers up to the light, should not shine thru. I just used some lesser quality fabric
    for my ties.

Comment

I just found this pattern.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA

If your 'muslin' is softer, this would actually give you three layers of fabric. I'd used the soft layer on the inside next to the skin.
      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        I really like this one! It looks so comfortable to wear and is much easier to construct.

Originally posted by KPH View Post
      I just found this pattern.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA

If your 'muslin' is softer, this would actually give you three layers of fabric. I'd used the soft layer on the inside next to the skin.
      I like this idea. The ones I'm making are rather time consuming and finding the elastic is getting more and more difficult. (to say nothing about the difficulty sewing it together although the glue idea may work better for me). I think rather than using clothes line I may just make my own tape with the 2 1/2" width strips as I can do that very fast at this point after all the bindings I've made). Two things about the clothes line is I think it might be too cumbersome and also since the pattern uses 50" lengths it could get quite pricey.( I put up a clothes line several years ago and was amazed at the price when I was done.) 50" lengths goes by very fast.

I like the idea that it has the pocket and is still washable like the pattern I'm currently using. It looks like the way she designed it it will still fit snuggly around the face when tied (the one I'm doing now is more formed and has a snug fit which I think is important. Also it retains the nose wire which I already use and like). AND I love that it is much faster than what I'm currently doing. I don't think I can do more than 10 over a two day period and that's working almost at full pace.

I'm currently working on 15 that is going to friends, relatives or neighbors and I'm adding filters in the pocket for them. I don't think that for the ones I'm donating I will be adding the filters too though. It can easily be cut to a shape to fit the pockets of the masks. If people want to donate filter material I'll put it in for them but I can't pay the extra expense for that if periodically donating 50 to a hundred masks at a clip. I'm already having problems getting the Pellon fusibles I'm using and the hepa vacumn cleaner bags are out of my price range!
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• jjkaiser
        jjkaiser commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this pattern but I never saw clothesline used and I think that would get pretty expensive. I wonder if JR strips would work but you might need to add an extra 10 inches bc a JR strip is not long enough?
    Working...
    X