Mask from paper towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mask from paper towel

CNN played this last night. Can you believe it came to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGU2vWHKC8
    Lorie
    ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Who has paper towels? You still can't find any in the stores around here. I'm on paper towel... only if you have to, mode.
    Katrina

โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€
    โ€• Maya Angelou

Comment

Whoa! I cannot imagine this being used as any kind of protection, except possibly for working in the garden or reducing dust while housecleaning. I suppose there are places in the world that this would be all they have.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

would a paper towel folded be a good insert for the pocketed masks?
        do we need something with a finer grain?

Comment

Originally posted by 201 Treadler View Post
          would a paper towel folded be a good insert for the pocketed masks?
          do we need something with a finer grain?
          I was thinking about this when it all first started. Wouldn't batik fabrics work well because they are one of the tightest thread counts you can sew with?
          Lorie
          ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

have not yet ventured into batiks ๐Ÿค”, but have a brand new unused pollen filter for the old wheels hmmm wonder where put it.

Comment

Neither paper towels nor batik fabrics nor non-woven interfacing nor practically anything else you can get your hands on will filter out the novel coronavirus. The virus is about 1-2 microns in size. To put this in perspective, there are about 25,000 microns per inch. It doesn't matter how tightly woven the fabric is, it's not going to filter out something that small.

Comment

Here's a YouTube video where this gal talks about Pellon Fabrics that will work......She also tells you what won't work. I thought I'd post this as well as the other post I made about the Dr. Ryan Southworth YouTube video and his take on making masks.
                https://youtu.be/v8HNYKvlaN8
                This YT video talks about Pellon that will work.....(possibly....please take a grain of salt with all the things that are out there...sure, something is better than nothing, but I don't think a Paper Towel is going to work.
                Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Originally posted by MSN View Post
                  Neither paper towels nor batik fabrics nor non-woven interfacing nor practically anything else you can get your hands on will filter out the novel coronavirus. The virus is about 1-2 microns in size. To put this in perspective, there are about 25,000 microns per inch. It doesn't matter how tightly woven the fabric is, it's not going to filter out something that small.
                  You sound frustrated, I'm sorry. I wasn't try to push another how to on mask making. I was just trying to say how bad it is out there that that is how far it's gone. I really, really wish right now I could say something I would get ๐Ÿค for..

I'm not making masks, but my youngest came over today to drop off my machine and a few other things from the store. She said while she was out there she felt she should be wearing one especially coming to visit me. It was hard seeing her scared. The only thing keeping up us more calm is living where we do.
                  Lorie
                  ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

• MSN
                    MSN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, Lorie, there is nothing to apologize for. There is so much misinformation circulating around on the internet. No one knows what to believe. I just don't want anyone to get a false sense of security that they are protected just because they are wearing a mask. Although I do agree that pretty much any mask is better than no mask at all.

So glad you finally got your machine. Enjoy getting to know her.

congrats for finally getting machine home๐Ÿ˜

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! She's so pretty

my son just took two N95 masks he had on hand to his in-laws and one hospital mask. I've been thinking of making my own if i must go out. haven't been out in over two weeks. simple masks only keep other people from being exposed to your cough or sneeze. doesn't protect you. but we must do all we can in these desperate days. slowing this thing down is what will help stop it. that and a shot! Doctors are working overtime to do this for mankind. smiles everyone ๐Ÿ˜‚

Comment

Paper towels are more useful as TP....
                    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• JCY
                      JCY commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But don't flush them down your toilet!

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
                    That's what I told my DH it might come to if the stores don't get more TP! I remember my mother telling me that they used old rags. Kept a special pot to boil water in to clean and disinfect the rags. What's worse than using an old rag? Cleaning that old rag! Think cloth diapers!
                    Vonnie

Comment

• auntstuff
                      auntstuff commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did cloth diapers for 2 kids.No big deal

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
                    There's a video for that too.
                    Lorie
                    ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

• auntstuff
                      auntstuff commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think I can figure that one out.....

if it come to no toilet paper id gladly send you a roll, that would be a necessary journey๐Ÿ˜‰

Comment

Working...
                    X