Scrub caps for nurses with longer hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrub caps for nurses with longer hair

Today, I started churning out scrub caps for my DIL's team. I chose the first fabric from my stash store. I cut 4 and started working on them. Morgan came over when Jim had a break and picked fabric from my stash store. She picked a batik for the cap and a black on black swirl for the band. I'll start cutting those later tonight. She picked several batiks with bright colors for her friends. I'll be busy for a day or two knocking them out. 102_0636.JPG
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Those are sooooo cute!

Comment

Those are adorable hats. I know they are appreciated too.

Comment

Wow, you are in high gear!!! Great work!!!

Comment

Where is the pattern for them to be found?
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• MAMSAN
            MAMSAN commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, where is the pattern.

https://youtu.be/qZGE31e4Hu4 is the YouTube tutorial... Be forewarned, she's not Jenny or Donna as far as showing you how to do it.

Womens Scrub Cap (1).pdf

They are really easy to sew in factory mode. I do all of the pressing first, then stitch the bottom of the front closed. I miter the tie ends so there aren't any loose threads hanging out.

Then I do all of the elastic steps, make the casings, thread and get those all set.

The longest part to me is the gathering. and making it fit the brim.

The part I really didn't get from the tutorial was how to join the gathered crown and the bottom of the brim/ straps. The easiest thing, I figured out. As your gathering, go ahead and pin the elastic casing to the bottom of the band to match and have the gathering start toward the upper edge of the curved head band. So the sides of that curved part that goes around the face is smooth. I'm not sure that the dots on the pattern really helped me at all.

I hope that helps, any other tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated.

Attached Files
          Last edited by KPH; March 31st, 2020, 06:42 AM.
          Katrina

― Maya Angelou

Comment

Alrighty,

So after consideration, and the thought of quilters cotton is going to shrink with hot water washing and drying. Jim's going to wash one of the caps I made yesterday. and see how much it does shrink.

This morning, I made one in the colors she picked, but I added an inch to the elastic (4"). I think after putting that on and wearing it for a few minutes. It's still really snug on my head and I honestly don't see the point of the ties, but my hair isn't long either! So my next one, I'm going to try 5" for the elastic.

Apparently, I didn't hit post...

5" makes the cap much more comfortable. Wowsers, Morgan suffers with migraines, I can't imagine her being able to last through a 12 hour shift with the 3 inches of elastic. Hopefully, she'll find a nurse on staff with a smaller head! I'm definitely making the rest with 5" of elastic in the back.
            Katrina

― Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
            X