Tutorial for facemasks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial for facemasks

Jenny has tutorials for making face masks (one with elastic and one with fabric ties) on the main home page for MSQC.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

I have made a bunch for my sweet DIL [shown wearing the second style I made] and others. The next bunch I make will have strips of T shirt for the ties, faster easier, won't ravel and most of us have some excess T shirts around.IMG_1216.JPG

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      This is really nice Claire! Did you use Jenny's pattern with ties or something else?

• MAMSAN
      MAMSAN commented
      Editing a comment
      really nice looking mask.

I used a combo of several different patterns. So far I have cut 7 1/2" squares of two fabrics, sewn one edge leaving a gap then pressed that seam open, sewn a stitch to secure the seam allowance to prevent raveling of the pocket opening then sewn the opposite edge, turned and rolled the opening about an inch down on the back, marked the pleats at 1 3/4-3 1/2-5 1/4 down from top edge. On the one Leslie is wearing I used 2" strips wof and made a binding, centered, then sewed that to the pleated edges. I am going to cut the ones I do today a little wider 8 1/2" since the T shirt strings I am going to use are a little shorter. I am going to use a binding strip just on each side and put the string into that as I sew it down. I hope that all make sense.

Comment

I love Jenny’s face mask pattern but not sure how to redo it to add a filter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        There are quite a few YouTube videos that show how to make one with a pocket for a filter.

• Rocky Rose
        Rocky Rose commented
        Editing a comment
        I just put a coffee filter between the fabric and flannel layers. Also my machine balks at the pleating, so I'm pinching, pinning, pressing the pleats, then doing a couple of stitches by hand instead.

jenny uses one rectangle
      use 2 rectangles
      seam the top of one
      add the tie across top of other,
      then put good side to good side ensuring upper tie inside
      sew up to an inch across top both sides
      sew 2 sides, and bottom
      turn out through pocket
      add tie across bottom
      add tucks in sides.

Comment

sorry but I don’t understand when you say “seam the top of one.” Wish I could see you make it. Will read it again and cut 2 scraps, should they still be cut 6x9–will try to follow. 7/8 seam allowance ok? I appreciate your help. Thank you .

Comment

fold fabric over so raw edge is hidden inside pocket.
          used my 1/4 inch foot, what ever is easier for you
          sorry did not make much sense.
          Last edited by 201 Treadler; April 6, 2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

This pattern was posted by KPH the other day and it gives a clear explanation of how to construct the pocket. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• MAMSAN
              MAMSAN commented
              Editing a comment
              Is this the pattern Katrina uses?
              kathy

• chelea
              chelea commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes it is.

Thanks to the both of you ladies. I appreciate it very much. Best of luck to to everyone as we try to stay safe and healthy.🙏

Comment

Loved Jenny's tutorial. Are you guys using cotton fabric and flannel, or are you using two layers of good quality cotton? I've heard the flannel is hot, but have not tried it myself. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
              I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Comment

I’m using 2 layers of good quality cotton. I haven’t used flannel I heard it is hot too.

Comment

I think so there is so many video related to the face mask.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                    Claire Hallman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Way too many it seems to me. I have watched many and consolidated and decided on my own method. It is fairly slow since I have been adding a pocket and a wire but they seem to be very popular with my neighbors. So far I have done about 150 and hope to finish another 50 or so today. I threw in a little actual quilt top making yesterday and it was so nice.
                Working...
                X