"Oly-fun" -Caution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Oly-fun" -Caution

Can't find the individual who mentioned this material as a filter in masks, hence this post. From the manufacturer: it is not something that can be sterilized.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

That was me. Good to know.

Comment

What is Oly-fun? So many patterns & tutorials on masks, I'm beginning to get overwhelmed.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• KPH
        KPH commented
        Editing a comment
        There's so much information and so much of it contradicts each other.

This description came from Joann's fabrics. Their price for a 10yrd bold is almost 3x more than Walmarts. Same product. I did purchase a bolt of white from Walmart. It won't be arriving until next Friday.
      https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fairfield...iABEgL_GPD_BwE

https://www.joann.com/olyfun-10-yard...14065353a.html

OLY-Fun, "the everything material", is one of the easiest, most versatile materials you will ever find. You can sew it, glue it, staple it, pin it or tie it. You can write on it, paint it, embellish it, stamp it or stencil it. You can scissor, rotary, or die cut it. The only thing it won't do is fray, tear, or fade so don't bother hemming it! OLY-Fun non-woven material can be used for a variety of projects. As a non-woven it is similar to the material used in surgical masks, however, OLY-Fun has not been tested or approved for medical use or filtration capabilities. A one-ply sheet of OLY-Fun is a non-woven 65GSM, whereas commercially manufactured surgical masks are typically made of 3-ply 25GSM non-woven with additional filtration added. Please note, homemade masks are not a substitute or replacement for N95 medical equipment.

OLY-Fun can be used for any sewing, craft, or home project. Tie it, hang it, cut it, sew it, wrap it and layer it! No fraying or hemming is needed when sewing. Water resistant for indoor and outdoor use. OLY-Fun provides a thermal insulating barrier, keeping warm things warm, and cold things cold. It is a good value solution for holiday and event decorating, costumes, kids' projects and activities.
      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for this information I did purchase a roll at Walmart, awhile back for another use. I am still on fence whether it's worth my time to make masks. While it would keep me busy and really feel for the workers begging for PPE, I would not want to put medical staff at risk with masks that would not be effective. So far, there is no shortage to meet the needs. This could change rapidly.
        The situation is more dire in the states where they are being issued one or two per shift or asked to re-use masks. I pray for medical staff in those situations, as this is but the beginning.
    Working...
    X