Masks again - designed by a nurse - no elastic needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masks again - designed by a nurse - no elastic needed

This masks covers all bases. It's from Riley Blake. https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/as...skTemplate.pdf
    Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YXQ0Y1NxdY
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Using a product called "Oly-fun" in the inside pocket as a liner has been recommended. It's cheap...I ordered 10 yards from WalMart for $13.95. It's a non-woven, breathable type of fabric. I saw it mentioned on several sites.

Comment

This is the mask I have been making. It's not the quickest one around.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

It's very nice to have people who have come up with a few designs to make these masks. I've decided to make the tie ones as well as the other ones with the elastic, etc.
        Are any of the medical professionals letting anyone know if the masks that are being made are easier/better, etc to use that other patterns? I haven't heard anything and of course even though I am a retired RN, I just really don't want to bother anybody I know that works in the hospitals, etc.
        Just curious. All of the patterns I've seen are all pretty good, some look easier than others to do etc.

Thanks so much for posting another way to make these masks that are desperately needed.
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I like the one posted above since it was designed by a nurse and can be used along with the n95 masks.

Comment

Originally posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
            It's very nice to have people who have come up with a few designs to make these masks. I've decided to make the tie ones as well as the other ones with the elastic, etc.
            Are any of the medical professionals letting anyone know if the masks that are being made are easier/better, etc to use that other patterns? I haven't heard anything and of course even though I am a retired RN, I just really don't want to bother anybody I know that works in the hospitals, etc.
            Just curious. All of the patterns I've seen are all pretty good, some look easier than others to do etc.

Thanks so much for posting another way to make these masks that are desperately needed.
            Did hear from an active surgical nurse. They prefer those with elastic. The tie ones slip evidently.
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Claire Hallman commented
              Editing a comment
              another to each his own thing. My DIL said she prefers ties as the elastic irritates her ears.

There was an article in our local newspaper today stating our local hospitals here do not want home made masks. I think I would check local hosp. & med. providers before I started making a bunch of masks. Denver Mattress has repurposed their machines & supplies & are making masks big time.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
              redcaboose1717 commented
              Editing a comment
              The local papers here have said that the furnace filter masks AND or just the plain cloth masks can be used in conjunction with the n95 masks....that way, even the plain masks are better than nothing.
              I have called and confirmed the need in our area. I did talk to the Doctors office I deal with and because it is part of the University of Michigan Health System they have plenty of masks, etc.
              I never do anything without checking first and that's including making these masks.
              BTW.....(This is a story in our local newspaper).Michigan Senator, Mike Shirkey owns a factory called Orbitform in Jackson, MI His firm has made a N95 Mask Sanitizer:
              https://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/2...sanitizer.html
              ************************************************** *************************
              Michigan Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun said residents should “strongly consider” wearing homemade masks while out in public to protect themselves from the coronavirus, but also asked residents to donate medical gear to overwhelmed hospitals.

Khaldun stopped short of recommending widespread use of masks, noting that health care workers have the highest need for N95 respirators and surgical masks as COVID-19 cases rapidly increase. Khaldun advised people to don face protection if they have access to it during a Thursday press conference.
              Here's the entire article from the local newspaper where I reside:
              Michigan Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun said residents should “strongly consider” wearing homemade masks while out in public to protect themselves from the coronavirus, but also asked residents to donate medical gear to overwhelmed hospitals.
              ************************************************** ************************************************** *************
              Here's the entire article :
              https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...-pandemic.html
              Last edited by redcaboose1717; April 3rd, 2020, 07:33 PM.

To make a mask that equals the masks used in hospitals etc. Go to amazon, search term "micron 3 filters" They have several in stock just make sure they are .3 micron, no others only .3 Then go to you-tube using "micron 3 face masks". These are the same filters all medical personal need. There's even videos from hospital nurses making them.
            When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Two of our LQS and JoAnn's have put a call out for masks. They want the kind with the pocket and wire. I'm more than happy to help the effort but do not have any wire. I read somewhere we could use paperclips, and promptly discovered the only kind I have are mini-clips and are too small.

I am thinking of making some for my co-workers to use when the stay at home order is lifted and we go back to work on rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                There was an article in our local newspaper today stating our local hospitals here do not want home made masks. I think I would check local hosp. & med. providers before I started making a bunch of masks. Denver Mattress has repurposed their machines & supplies & are making masks big time.
                If you don't care to make these for hospitals, consider making masks for your local veterinary hospital. They need them too and will really appreciate the donations.
                Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Everyone, in our local paper, some of the nurses have sewn buttons on the caps then wear and say that the constant use of masks is starting to hurt (rub) on their ears, so I can imagine that some of them would like to use the tie masks for a change occasionally.
                  I've got 100 cut out....and a 50 (total 150) and plan to take them to the local hospital on Wednesday.

How many of you are making the type of mask that you can put a piece of the furnace filter in ?
                  surgical-mask-cliparts-166696-7015772.png

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                  http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Working...
                  X