Making masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making masks

I’m making masks for friends, family and our nursing homes but I only can get 20 yards of elastic. I wanted to make them out of my Hawaiian print fabrics I have (since I have loads of it). I know there not the regulation but thought it would be cute over 95 masks. I wanted to make ties since I have no more elastic how wide and long should I make the ties?? Any suggestions pls. BTW tried to order from Amazon delivery is May 25 Mahalo.
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

For ties, the recommendation has been 17 inches. The other thing that you might look at for elastic is elastic hair bands (the ones that go around the head, not the tiny pony tail style). The local Dollar Store had them 7 for a $1 and each one will make one mask. Cut it in half and make sure to take off the metal band. You can also get them at Walmart, Target, Dollar General.

Comment

• AlohaSandy
      AlohaSandy commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea. I’ll check on those today.

I have been making my ties 1.5 x 40 and run them up the sides of the masks, covering the pleats to better hold them in place. They are requesting ties because the elastic create bed sores behind their ears from the irritation from wearing the masks for extended periods of time.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• AlohaSandy
      AlohaSandy commented
      Editing a comment
      So you’re attaching them to the outside of the masks??? Can you send me a pic. Mahalo

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll post one tomorrow....I packed the two dozens I have done up for delivery.

Check Etsy. I find most of the sellers ship pretty fast. I clicked on United States, but be sure to check shipping. I have a feeling a lot of sellers on Amazon and Etsy are dong drop shipments.
    https://www.etsy.com/search/craft-su...nQuery=6252001
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
      For ties, the recommendation has been 17 inches. The other thing that you might look at for elastic is elastic hair bands (the ones that go around the head, not the tiny pony tail style). The local Dollar Store had them 7 for a $1 and each one will make one mask. Cut it in half and make sure to take off the metal band. You can also get them at Walmart, Target, Dollar General.
      I have purchased those hair bands, but they are extremely difficult to sew with. I also tested out the pony-style ones. If you make the mask wider ~ 11.5 - 12" instead of the 9. You can then create a channel on each side and before stitching encase the hair tie in it. Don't cut the band. This pic shows how it would look. The mask itself is a different pattern. PIC.JPG
      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I have used 2" strips either WOF or 36" and that is one for each side. I have a Clover tape folder which works great and just sew the long piece along the length inserting the pleated mask part in the center. My DIL was really pleased with the 40 I have taken for the nursing home she works in.

Comment

• AlohaSandy
          AlohaSandy commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok have to purchase one of those quickly. Lol

Since there a shortage of elastic is there any reason the elastic from a fitted sheet couldn't be used.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          Elastic is elastic. Provided it is clean and not stretched out.

I have read that people are using strips cut from T shirts as ties. They cut off the bottom hem, then cut one inch sections and give them a tug and they roll on their own. I don't think they will ravel either. I think that is what I will do with my next batch.

Be very careful cutting these. I was using my June Taylor slotted thingie, cut off part of my left index finger. I was used to cutting at the 2 1/2" slot and doing 1" I didn't put my hand in the right place and ran the cutter right through the edge of my nail, cut off maybe a 1/4" slice and it bled forever and hurts. It will heal up but just a warning here to BE CAREFUL.😮
        Last edited by Claire Hallman; March 28th, 2020, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch, oh Claire. I hope your fingers heals quickly.
          I'm still healing from slicing across finger with seam ripper. Sign to slow down.

I read that the ties are actually better because they don't harbor bacteria like elastic can. Anyone else come across that info?

Comment

• AlohaSandy
          AlohaSandy commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow Great to know since now I’m out of elastic. Mahalo.

• bubba
          bubba commented
          Editing a comment
          We've been told that elastic causes sores behind the ears due to the length of time they are being worn. They are asking for ties.

This is one I have made. Yesterday, I made 22 of them. I am now up to 30. They are for a nurse at one of the large hospitals... we're have six of them!
        Attached Files
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Our hospitals aren’t taking theses. No homemade masks. Nursing homes are our best to give them since there more for decoration they are stating.
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

• bubba
            bubba commented
            Editing a comment
            The ones I am making are for nurses working in a hospital.

Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
          Our hospitals aren’t taking theses. No homemade masks. Nursing homes are our best to give them since there more for decoration they are stating.
          Someone posted this and there a few in Hawaii.
          https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-mak...Mask-Donations
          "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Wow Perfect thank you!!!
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Sandy, I picked up a kit(to make masks) from Jo-Ann's (I live in Michigan) today and in the bag was 23 inches of 44" fabric and this elastic called "Fold Over Elastic.
              It is made by Dritz 5/8" and comes in a package of 1 yd.
              I noticed that Jo-Ann's has Babyville Fold Over Elastic :
              https://www.joann.com/babyville-fold...h-Rule&start=1
              There's 2 yds in this package.
              Jo-Ann's gives you 2-one yard (5/8" Fold Over Elastic) and instructions on how to make a very simple mask. I really wanted to see what Jo-Ann's had come up with as far as the masks.
              cat-goldfish.gif
              Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
              http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I am makoing mask and surgical caps for my daughter and a friend. They have now come up with another method to save their ears. They are putting buttons on the surgical cap which is then where the elastic goes from the mask. They dont like the masks with string.
                :icon_happy:Karen
                Life is short - live it up while you can

Comment

• bubba
                  bubba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have a pattern for the caps? I'd like it please.

• Kgrammiecaz
                  Kgrammiecaz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My daughter brought one home from the hospital and I deconstructed it so I could cut my pieces. They have some on you tube but I did not like any.
              Working...
              X