Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claire Hallman
    replied
    60686316152__E96F4EAD-8A0C-46EC-BE40-A2552A9696E0.JPGI got a message from Bubby and can't figure out how to reply so will reply here and hope she sees it.
    I made my ties either the wof or 36" depending on my fabric. I think 36" is enough but had some random strips that I used up. I revised my pattern yesterday a bit and made double fold 2" wide strips with a folding tool from clover and used them as ties and the side binding in one strip for each side. I also made a pocket, added some lengths of copper wire [we had on hand and it won't rust] and made the front and back from different fabrics so one could tell the front from the back.
    I sewed my two 7 1/2" squares along one edge leaving an opening then sewed the opposite edge and turned right side out. I rolled the tube so the opening was about 1/2" down from the top edge towards the back, marked and sewed the pleats and using a zipper foot I sewed a channel at the top edge enclosing a wire. I hope this explains what I did.
    I finished 16 yesterday with 26 to finish up today. I will check with my DIL to see if more are needed and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    commented on 's reply
    I had saved the ties on coffee bean bags. This makes one.

• Suzette
    replied
    As of yesterday I found a few shops on Etsy selling elastic.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied
    The flexible thing that secures a bag of donuts is perfect for the nose piece. It’s coated metal and one will do two masks. That’s a lot of donuts to eat, but maybe someone saves them. I will save them from now on. This was Jeff’s idea.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied
    As luck would have it, I had recently ordered a 144 yd roll of elastic form ebay. I have plenty to make many masks. I had a partial roll left that I sent to a friend that could not find any either. I am making a few with ties if that is what is requested...using binding strips for that.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied
    I just checked my supplies. I used to have several pkgs. of bias tape, but it looks like I donated all those. I do have a couple pkgs. of narrow elastic. And of course, one can always sew fabric ties. I was thinking I could use up some of the FQ fabrics in my stash that I don't particularly like. But...I don't have any immed. plans to start sewing masks. I'm trying to finish the FMQ on a baby quilt.

Leave a comment:

• Granny Fran
    replied
    Clever idea, Claire. I made a couple for DD and SIL (they work RTA in Dayton OH) I also used some pipe cleaners in the tops so they could mold them to their noses easier.

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    commented on 's reply
    Unfold a paper clip at the middle fold.

• auntstuff
    commented on 's reply
    It seems all things become useful again if you keep them long enough....

• JulieC
    commented on 's reply
    I would think any wire would rust with washing? Unless it's coated somehow?

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    commented on 's reply
    I may have posted that I saw this used in a YouTube video. Good to know it would rust.

• Claire Hallman
    replied
    I made these yesterday [using shoe laces and other random ties] for my DDIL after she sent me a scary picture of herself in a bandanna. I will make more today using jelly roll strips as ties.IMG_1212.JPG

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    commented on 's reply
    pipe cleaners rust, so after laundering the masks would be stained

• JCY
    replied
    Someone suggested inserting pipe cleaners for a good nose fit. Not sure how well they would hold up with multiple washings.

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    commented on 's reply
    I have some 1/2" elastic, I didn't know that it could be split lengthwise and not unravel. I will give it a try
Working...
X